Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Post by kimo »

Sunset in Great Basin.
_KDB4445.jpg
_KDB4445.jpg (227.36 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
Sacramento sunset.
_KDB4651.jpg
_KDB4651.jpg (107.47 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

Sunrise over Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs as seen from Barr Trail during my climb up and down Pikes Peak yesterday the 11th of November 2011.
Attachments
Pikes Peak 019.JPG
Pikes Peak 019.JPG (83.64 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
Pikes Peak 044.JPG
Pikes Peak 044.JPG (70.49 KiB) Viewed 4677 times
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Nice shots Larry! And by the way, congrats on your climb up Denali.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

d_baker wrote:Nice shots Larry! And by the way, congrats on your climb up Denali.
Thanks Darin - you taught me everything I know! :D
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

Sunset from the East Face of Pikes Peak and the silhouette caused by the mountain. (Dec 10 2011)
Attachments
The huge silhouette of Pikes Peak stretching to the East as the sun sets behind it.
The huge silhouette of Pikes Peak stretching to the East as the sun sets behind it.
PIKES PEAK DEC 10 2011 040.JPG (223.7 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
PIKES PEAK DEC 10 2011 048.JPG (169.03 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 43 19
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Good luck breeds bad habits.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Full Moon over Buffalo Mountain from Sapphire Point. This is going to be a Xmas present for my parents, so don't tell. :wink:
BuffaloPanorama1-sm.gif
BuffaloPanorama1-sm.gif (234.55 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
kimo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Nicely done, Cameron. Your timing was incredible. The moon size and position, the cloudless pastel sky, your vantage point on the snowy Gore peaks...it all just works.

I tried to be at the right place at the right time last week.

Sunrise at Mesa Arch.

Sunset at Delicate Arch.

Sunset over Canyonlands.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

kimo wrote:
I tried to be at the right place at the right time last week.
I'd have to say you succeded and then some. That Mesa Arch photo is amazing. Great lighting and composition, and the clouds really tie the room together. I like how he clouds in the upper left corner draw the eyes to the distant mountains. Well done.

Excellent lighting on Delicate Arch as well. I think that shot would make a great pano if you snipped off a bit of the sky.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

What a cool thread! Lot's of very unique perspectives of our great mountains here in Colorado and Utah.

Here's my attempt to capture a sunset in Arches a few days ago. Here's my try at the classic La Sall Pano from the area around the iconic Balance Rock. Tech details: Canon D60, Nodal Ninja Pano Head, shot at 135mm at F8. Overall a 16 image photo. Eight across, and 8 to hand blend to taste. Print to 30x92.

I have two versions, one just before sunset and one just after sunset. Which one feel better to you?
Attachments
Canyonlands 60D 009 2 Panorama.jpg
Canyonlands 60D 009 2 Panorama.jpg (303.6 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Before sunset...
Attachments
Canyonlands 60D 134 2 Panorama.jpg
Canyonlands 60D 134 2 Panorama.jpg (349.34 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
kimo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

vonmackle wrote:Excellent lighting on Delicate Arch as well. I think that shot would make a great pano if you snipped off a bit of the sky.
Thanks. After many trips to Moab this was the first time I made an effort to catch sunrise and sunset at the "famous spots." I was suprised by the wall of photographers at both locations...I guess I didn't quite expect that. In future, I'd like to search out some locations off the grid that are every bit as spectacular.

I'll try the crop with the Delicate Arch photo. All that sky felt a bit heavy, but I wanted to show the wide canyon and the yellowing horizon. A crop should work great.

Kane wrote:I have two versions, one just before sunset and one just after sunset. Which one feel better to you?
Great shots Kane, including the Candlestick Tower that you posted to your photosite. As for the Arches photos...the feeling after sunset is more relaxed, the pastel tones more welcoming, the shadows less deep, the landscape more dreamy and wide. It's one of those moments where everyone goes "awww." In contrast, the sun lit shot is more harsh, more aggressive, in your face, and the detail hides in darker shadow.

30x92 is incredible resolution. If I were to hang a print of that size in my home, the after sunset afterglow is the feeling I'd want to create. But both photos are very cool.