Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Post by Mark Curtis »

Kimo, Matt......awesome as usual. Keep them coming. Mr 14ner.....love the long exposure on Kilpacker Falls. And holy crap, yorksman.....dude......that shot of the Castle is absolutely jaw dropping. All of your shots are super nice, but that one is spectacular. =D> =D> =D> The subtle pastel tones are amazing.....and in this case the hazy conditions really accentuate them as well as the sense of depth. What kind of camera and lens are you using for these?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

Mark Curtis wrote:What kind of camera and lens are you using for these?
I use a Canon 5DMKII body and for glass I use either a 17-40mm, 24-105mm or a 70-200mm lens, normally I carry all this plus tripod on top of my daypack or backpacking gear.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

yorksman wrote:
Mark Curtis wrote:What kind of camera and lens are you using for these?
I use a Canon 5DMKII body and for glass I use either a 17-40mm, 24-105mm or a 70-200mm lens, normally I carry all this plus tripod on top of my daypack or backpacking gear.
I kinda figured it was something sweet like that. A lot to carry around, but the results are impressive. Thanks for the reply.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Flips wrote:

:D

I like that.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Taken near Windsor
Taken near Windsor
IMGP3065-2.JPG (219.72 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Pawnee Buttes with a point and shoot
Pawnee Buttes with a point and shoot
P1040399-1-7.JPG (335.78 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
On the Arkansas River near Florence
On the Arkansas River near Florence
IMGP2909-2.JPG (259.52 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Mark Curtis wrote:Kimo, Matt......awesome as usual. Keep them coming. Mr 14ner.....love the long exposure on Kilpacker Falls. And holy crap, yorksman.....dude......that shot of the Castle is absolutely jaw dropping. All of your shots are super nice, but that one is spectacular. =D> =D> =D> The subtle pastel tones are amazing.....and in this case the hazy conditions really accentuate them as well as the sense of depth.

I would have to echo the above. And add, Mark, that your images just bowl me over.

Someone we haven't heard from lately is Kane. If any of you have seen his images, they are as beautiful as all the hard work and timing he puts in to get them. He is a master. Maybe he'll grace us with a post some time.

Here's one from ROA saddle after a long afternoon on Wilson Peak and Mount Wilson.

Sunset on Silver Pick Basin, August 7, 2011.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

vonmackle wrote:Love this photo of Lone Eagle. I've been considering investing in some grad filters as well. Did you use a 1 stop filter for this shot?
I used a four-stop soft edge GND (Hitech 4x5 ND1.2 resin) and exposed to preserve the highlights on the rock. The foreground was a bit too dark so I did some selective brightening in CNX2. I also have a three-stop hard edge GND but didn't find much use for it in the Lone Eagle cirque. The hard edge transition from clear to ND was just too abrupt for the irregular forms of the cirque. I could see a need for a two-stop soft edge GND and want to add one to the kit.

Overall, I feel the el-cheapo resin filters just turned my photography on end. The results were suprisingly good and they were fun to use and shoot with. It's always more fun using the tools outside.
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:I like that.
...and all the photography in Drew's galleries. I love cars, and there are some great automobiles and photography showcased in there. Those Singer classic 911s are sweet.
yorksman wrote:I use a Canon 5DMKII body and for glass I use either a 17-40mm, 24-105mm or a 70-200mm lens, normally I carry all this plus tripod on top of my daypack or backpacking gear.
Spectacular photographs, Jody, esp La Plata and The Castle. I like your style - dreamy, inviting, and expansive.

The images I have viewed from the 5DMKII have been outstanding. I read recently that Kane had switched over to the 5DMKII from a Nikon D700 body. Not long ago I was seriously considering making the investment in a full frame body and lens and then rather abruptly (and regrettably) decided on the crop-sensor D7000. I wish I had made the jump to full frame.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Someone we haven't heard from lately is Kane. If any of you have seen his images, they are as beautiful as all the hard work and timing he puts in to get them. He is a master. Maybe he'll grace us with a post some time.
Kane's galleries, like Jody's, are a showcase of hard work and dedication to the craft. Nearly every photo is taken at sunrise or sunset, usually deep inside the mountains or on top of one. He had a great pic of a blood red Longs Peak on his Summitpost user page, but I see it's been replaced by an equally amazing image of US Grant Peak.

Jim, Mark, Matt, Jody, vonmackle, and all others, thanks for sharing the golden moments.

This is the view towards the west from the slopes of Pikes Peak on a stormy October evening. The color hasn't been edited - I just pointed the camera at the setting sun, dialed in some serious negative exposure compensation, and took the pic. The resulting image was perfect for the season.
DSC_8784.jpg
DSC_8784.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Sunset over Twin Lakes, CO
Sunset over Twin Lakes, CO
23796_1359593439836_1531534805_30910842_4223400_n.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
Climb up Pints down
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Sunrise Pano on top of Elbert
Sunrise Pano on top of Elbert
23796_1358772419311_1531534805_30909674_7052603_n.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
Climb up Pints down
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

mattpayne11 wrote:Here's a few I've done this summer:

Sunset over Shavano - HDR

Sunrise over Uncompahgre - HDR Panoramic

Sunrise over Uncompahgre - HDR

Sunrise over Stewart Creek

Sunrise from Princeton
I like the composition of these shots but to me HDR is a big turn-off with the fake blown-out colors. Might you have these less altered?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

I really like Matt's HDR shots.....gives the threads a different look. Of course they are over the top.....that's the idea. But they are also quite artistic and very well done.

That said, I would be interested in seeing some of those great shots (like the one from Wetterhorn!) in a standard form.