Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Post by kimo »

MindyWoo wrote:Long's Peak......by sunlight or moonlight its splintered grey crest is the one object which unfailingly arrests the eyes. From it come all storms of snow and wind, and the forked lightenings play around its head like a glory. The thunder becomes its voice, and the lightenings do it homage. Other summits blush under the morning kiss of the sun and turn pale the next moment; but it detains the first sunlight and holds it round its head for an hour at least, till it please to change from rosy red, to deep blue; and the sunset, as if spell-bound, lingers latest on its crest. - Isabella Bird, 1873
Whoever said "a picture says a thousand words" doesn't know Isabella Bird and the senses she evokes. I can see the sunset and smell the trembling ozone. Writing is a great art. Sometimes, it needs to be said.
Kane wrote:Sunrise from the perfect Blue Lake. Name those mountains!
I've seen those peaks from far away, but never so close. They look a thousand miles away, like mountains in Alaska or other reaches of the great white north. The pic inspires me to makes airline reservations for a faraway place when in fact I don't need to travel far at all. It's practically in our own backyard. I've seen them only from across the way but someday I'll travel deeper into the Gorge and see those peaks up close. Might even scramble to the top. Nice work Kane.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Kane that is a very cool photo. The symmetry of the cracks
in the ice against the reflection of the mountains - very unique. Makes me think of a "grid" some discuss on this site -but literally of course.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

MP, TA, TM!!!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
kimo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

I the early summer of '08, I parked the mountain bike and the jeep and decided to just walk. Lake Isabelle was my first destination. I recall post-holing through the deep snowdrifts across the trail, my shins scraped raw, my feet cold and wet. But the effort didn't deter me. It was this view of Navajo and Apache, seen from the shore of Lake Isabelle, that inspired me to walk further, to go higher. And a week or two later, I reached Mirror Lake on the westside of Indian Peaks. I was done for - hook, line, and sinker - I now had to reach the top. And my first 14er soon followed.

A lake of inspiration, cradled by Niwot Ridge, Navajo Peak, Apache Peak, and Shoshoni Peak.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Great shot Kimo.

Thanks. Now I have another place that I have to see firsthand. #-o
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Beautiful summer scene, and you had some nice gap light. Nice shot Kimo.
kimo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Kane wrote:Beautiful summer scene, and you had some nice gap light. Nice shot Kimo.
I lucked out on that one. I had just bought my little 35mm f1.8 dx lens the night before. That's one of my first pics with it. I think it's shot wide open at f1.8 so it's little fuzzy all around. Might have been with my modest little D40 too. But definitely right place at right time. Thanks, Kane!

Here's a sunset on Longs taken a few weeks ago from just below the summit of East Glacier Knob looking into Glacier Gorge.
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by upndown »

Kane, You have a gift for this. Run with it if you can.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Sunrise. Because I'm never high on a mountain for a sunset.
(photo courtesty of Monster5)

Sunrise on Pikes Peak

Sunrise on Uncompahgre

Sunrise on La Plata Peak - Huron visible

Sunrise on Castle Peak
Last edited by djkest on Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

kimo wrote:The sun sets on Glacier Gorge.

Man, how did I miss this one? Great shot, Kimo. Excellent lighting on Longs, and I love the clouds.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jlarocco »

Sunrise on Quandry

Sunrise on Quandry

Sunsetting near Golden

Sunset over the front range around Standley Lake in Westminster

George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

Sunset over the Tetons from earlier this year
TetonSunset.jpg
TetonSunset.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund