night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by realhillboarding »

Here's a time lapse I made during this past month's new moon while I was staying in a village on the Napo River in Peru. The glow in the bottom left corner are the lights of Iquitos.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Thanks, Sunny and Matt.
mattpayne11 wrote:I'm heading into the Elks - hoping for some unique shots of the Bells in the dark ;)
Matt, congrats on the finisher! Can't wait to see the trip report. Did you get any good night shots?
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

vonmackle wrote:Thanks, Sunny and Matt.
mattpayne11 wrote:I'm heading into the Elks - hoping for some unique shots of the Bells in the dark ;)
Matt, congrats on the finisher! Can't wait to see the trip report. Did you get any good night shots?
Oh, buddy! I was able to execute a pretty fantastic star trails series over the Bells plus a pano of the Milky Way over Pyramid, and a pretty awesome Milky Way shot over Pyramid reflected over Crater Lake.
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

realhillboarding wrote:Here's a time lapse I made during this past month's new moon while I was staying in a village on the Napo River in Peru. The glow in the bottom left corner are the lights of Iquitos.

Nice time-lapse!
HighCountry
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HighCountry »

Taken a couple of nights ago:
IMG_0608pssm.jpg
IMG_0608pssm.jpg (105.67 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir, father of the National Parks.
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by realhillboarding »

My fiancee and I decided at 7pm yesterday we were going to climb Gray's and Torrey's peaks to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower, so packed up the car, hit the trail at midnight, and hiked all night. This time lapse didn't really capture the meteors (for a little while we were seeing them every 20-30 seconds), but it still turned out pretty cool!

greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

realhillboarding wrote:Here's a time lapse I made during this past month's new moon while I was staying in a village on the Napo River in Peru. The glow in the bottom left corner are the lights of Iquitos.
Awesome!!!
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
greenwok
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

I fall a lot wrote:
Theodore wrote:Watch this for some awesome video of the sky as well: http://www.vimeo.com/25673968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, this is done for another group, but since they started up right after us, I made some cameos. :D The still shot at on the linked page, I'm the red pack on the far left.
Wow!
That is one V E R Y Bad @$$ clip!!!
greenwok
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

bergsteigen wrote:From my time in Fairbanks:

Dang!!!!
SkiBum1287
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SkiBum1287 »

The Milky Way, with a hint of light pollution from Boulder/Denver.
Attachments
Perseids 2012 144b.jpg
Perseids 2012 144b.jpg (203.96 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
Snow!
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Had some great conditions for the shots I planned for at the Maroon Bells. If you've not seen the TR yet, here's the night sky shots that I took.

Milky Way over Crater Lake - Explored #3 by Matt-Payne, on Flickr

Maroon Bells under a blanket of stars - Explored #46 by Matt-Payne, on Flickr

Dreaming of Pyramid Peak by Matt-Payne, on Flickr
jameseroni
Trip Reports (11)

Post by jameseroni »

Just getting into this.... is it true that it's hard on the sensor in the camera if the exposure is greater than 5 minutes? Is a special filter required for longer exposure times?