night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by mattpayne11 »

vonmackle wrote:My wife and I camped a couple nights near treeline along Matterhorn Creek this week. This is the view from our camp as I woke up at 4:15 on Thursday morning to hike Uncompahgre and Matterhorn:
Very nice job on that Matterhorn photo!

Here's some that I've done this year:

At Cielo Vista Ranch before Culebra:

At Navajo Lake:

At Snowmass Lake:

At San Luis trailhead:
livetothemax96
14ers: 10  5  3 
13ers: 14 2 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

Nice star trail pics, are those single exposure or stacked?, and in the first did you use a yellow filter?
whats life unless you live it?
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

livetothemax96 wrote:Nice star trail pics, are those single exposure or stacked?, and in the first did you use a yellow filter?
Some are single exposures and some are stacked. No filters. I used some light painting though...
livetothemax96
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

Ok, thanks, great pics, here are some more from a trip to mount massive taken from the grass parking lot for the SW slopes
Attachments
more milky way
more milky way
IMG_0508 (1280x853) (1024x682).jpg (285.57 KiB) Viewed 5614 times
some short star trails
some short star trails
IMG_0509 (1280x1040) (1024x832) (800x650).jpg (276.39 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

We need to get this thread going again. I took this one of Torreys Peak from the Bakerville exit on Sunday morning under the light of the moon.
TorreysMoonlight0697-sm.jpg
TorreysMoonlight0697-sm.jpg (106.51 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
I read that cold weather can cause focusing issues, and wasn't surprised that it took me a few shots to get the focus right. Does anyone have any tips/advice on focusing in low light and cold conditions?
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
livetothemax96
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

vonmackle wrote:We need to get this thread going again. I took this one of Torreys Peak from the Bakerville exit on Sunday morning under the light of the moon.

I read that cold weather can cause focusing issues, and wasn't surprised that it took me a few shots to get the focus right. Does anyone have any tips/advice on focusing in low light and cold conditions?
We definitely should keep this thread going (hopefully we'll get some stuff at the 14ers photography day (maybe night) on the 21st)
As far as focusing goes I normally just do trial and error (and patience) with manual focus until it looks good, not the most efficient way (impossible if you are still using film) but it can work.
Great picture by the way, one of the best views heading up I-70 before the tunnel IMO
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Under a rising full-moon in Arches National Park.
MoonriseSplit.jpg
MoonriseSplit.jpg (107.84 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
teedublya
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teedublya »

IMG_3673 by teedublya, on Flickr
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

From my time in Fairbanks:

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

i love aurora pictures, so lucky you got to see that all the time when you lived there.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

ajkagy wrote:i love aurora pictures, so lucky you got to see that all the time when you lived there.
It was the one major benefit of being an insomniac! Plenty of 3am & -20F nights keeping my spare batteries warm...
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mattpayne11
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

bergsteigen wrote:
ajkagy wrote:i love aurora pictures, so lucky you got to see that all the time when you lived there.
It was the one major benefit of being an insomniac! Plenty of 3am & -20F nights keeping my spare batteries warm...
Someday I'd love to get up there and see the lights... so awesome!

Here's a few more shots I've done recently, nothing too great.

Blast Off! by Matt-Payne, on Flickr

Big City Sky by Matt-Payne, on Flickr

Stars Over the Garden of the Gods by Matt-Payne, on Flickr

Star Trails at Camp by Matt-Payne, on Flickr

Milky Way Over Durango Colorado by Matt-Payne, on Flickr