Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby Craig Cook » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Finally added a signature. Not really related to mountaineering, but still sound advice. :shock:
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby wooderson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 pm

highpilgrim wrote: Appropriately perhaps,

Remember what the dormouse said;
"Keep YOUR HEAD"

A good mountaineeing tenet I think.

Good thought, but I'm afraid the lyrics are "FEED your head." :)

Postby CarpeDM » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 am

Okay, this thread has inspired me to at least change my signature. Now it's a selection of some of my favorite Neil Young lyrics. There really are too many to choose from.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:19 am

wooderson wrote:Good thought, but I'm afraid the lyrics are "FEED your head."

I know. Late night "artistic license" after two bottles of Hop Stoopid. \:D/ :?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby EZSide » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:00 am

Ezside is my initials ... (WN - on side). It will likely be a good handle for my life at 14ers!

Avatar is Fred's Mountain at Grand Targhee from a 2003 trip west. I used it as it marked the start of my more recent dreaming of the mountains - I didn't ride the lift either direction and had to scramble some cliff bands on my route up which I did in less than two hours - a major feat for the condition I was in (5' 8 & 230 lbs.). A reminder of where I started from, I guess.

Still thinking about the signature.
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Postby Yalegirl09 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:07 am

My username is Yalegirl09 simply because Yale was my 1st 14er and I was instantly hooked... I definitely did not go to Yale, but I get that a lot! :lol: The 09 is because 9 used to be my lucky number.
My signature is a link to my summit list that my climbing partner Matt put together for me last year.
My avatar is from Mt. Sherman last June, Sherman was never my favorite mountain when I first climbed it in 2003, but I chose this picture because it reminds me of a wonderful weekend. My friend was in town and we climbed Sherman in the evening from 4-8 pm. We were the only ones on the mountain and it made Sherman a great experience. The next day we climbed Shavano. It was definitely one of my favorite weekends and two of my favorite climbs that I have ever completed. :D

Postby elkheart22 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 am

My avatar is my first winter climb with both my sons.

Signature should be self explanatory....

Cheers, Tim
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby jmg6429 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Capitol Peak knife edge - awesome climb.

Quote - just about getting up and getting going - It's never to late to start.
It's not where you've been, it's where you're going.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Hola,

My Avatar is My Wife and I on the top of Atlantic this July 4th

My name is TeamDino because I climb extensively with my Wife and we have a long running inside joke that we are dinosaurs :D and 5280 is because we’re in Denver.

My signature is a variation of a quote from Michael Jordan, I truly believe in that saying
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby ChrisinAZ » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 pm

My avatar--me at the Grand Canyon. Lived in AZ for a while, and it holds a special place in my heart. My name here is out of date, but was simply my username on LoJ and I've been too lazy to change it.

As for my sig--I figured there were enough inspirational quotes floating around this site already. I'm a bit of a smartass, but also enjoy making people laugh.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby jameseroni » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Avatar is a shot of me on the top of Mt. Eva, mid winter, Solo. Had to set the camera up and was only able to get a few decent shots before it started to malfunction. It's not the original, but I thought the effect I added was neat.

Postby rijaca » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Self-portrait.

No signature, but I am partial to the following quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Last edited by rijaca on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

PreviousNext