Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby toekramp » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Avatar - Heading up towards Halo Ridge around 5am as the sun was rising. Was feeling 'fresh as a daisy' and thought this picture illustrated it well. Pretty much the feeling I have every time I head out predawn for an expedition. It's the only time I'm a 'morning person'.

Quote - I've related to it for a long time, and it's never been truer than the time I have spent here in Colorado.
The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
Colette

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:42 pm

My Avatar was taken a few years back on Sister Superior in UT. It's one of my favorite desert summit shots. The view from my perch was amazing and the climb was so memorable. The 1st pitch is this gorgeous chimney that happens to also be one of my most favorite desert pitches ever. I was also hot, dehydrated and super happy to be on top. Just talking about it brings me back!

My signature. . .well I have it because it's true. It's not a physical thing but an emotional thing.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby speth » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Me at Tent Rocks NM near Santa Fe.

Last line of the song "The Other Side" by the band Dismemeberment Plan.

"Phil! Phil Connors?!
Ned Ryerson?"
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby jaymz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Avatar/screen name: James Hetfield of Metallica, who's been known to sign his name "Jaymz." My name is James as well. It's a tribute of sorts, I suppose.

Sig: Saw that Jimi lyric on a souvenir t-shirt at Keystone, and thought it was just as apropo for climbing as for snowboarding.

Love the Dumb and Dumber reference!

Postby The Joe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:45 pm

avatar; Me standing in front of Diamond Lake/Indian Peaks Wilderness. It was a difficult hike considering the conditions at the time.(Cold, rain, hail, lightning & major snowdrifts) I was too stubborn to quit....

Hense my signature...My stubborness will probably get me killed someday but for now it's my motivation.

My user name is meant as a parody of a pitch I use when I first meet someone...I'm just your "Average Joe".

"Show 'em yer nuts!"
Attachments
nuts.jpg
nuts.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Last edited by The Joe on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Me on the summit ridge of Denali, just starting down from the summit. I did not take this, of course, my pal did, but check out the #1 rated Denali photo on summitpost sometime; it has been #1 since the trip in 2005.

http://www.summitpost.org/myself-on-the-initial-descent/113295/c-150199

Postby toekramp » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Me on the summit ridge of Denali, just starting down from the summit. I did not take this, of course, my pal did, but check out the #1 rated Denali photo on summitpost sometime; it has been #1 since the trip in 2005.

unbelievable photo!
The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
Colette

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Avatar: Me attempting to hang from the handle in Teakettle Mtn, unfortunately the hold I was using to do so broke mid photo, so actually I am just completely airborne.

Signature: Just two quick summaries about how I treat life. The first is from the song "Typecast Modulator" by Snapcase which is a song that is about thinking for yourself and not letting society dictate who you are. I picked this particular line because I thought it best fit my approach to the mountains as I don't tend to climb popular peaks or popular routes but rather seek out the "unpopular challenge".

The second is because I don't care much for status symbols, life is about your experiences and your inner being, not the "stuff" you accumulate. Its from the song "Merchandise" by Fugazi which is a statement against our over-commercialized society.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby shredcrazy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 pm

hey can anyone guess what happening in my avatar? and yes its a real photo of me airborne

Postby kman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:07 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Me on the summit ridge of Denali, just starting down from the summit. I did not take this, of course, my pal did, but check out the #1 rated Denali photo on summitpost sometime; it has been #1 since the trip in 2005.

Not to sidetrack from the original topic of avatars, just thought i would show you two pics of that same corniced summit ridge taken by me on the end of the rope two weeks ago during our team's summit of Denali! Might have to make one of these pictures my NEW avatar!! (your pic, by the way climbing Rob, is awesome!)
Attachments
1206.JPG
1206.JPG (65.63 KiB) Viewed 340 times
1208.JPG
1208.JPG (78.14 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Postby StevieTwoShoes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:07 pm

My avatar is lebowskifest.com's take on Shepard Fairey's OBEY Giant. As I would rather abide than obey, I chose the former over the latter. I've considered changing it a few times, but it really ties my posts together, does it not? My signature, which pretty much explains itself, is a quote I use to start the discussion of religion in my classroom. I also revisit it several times a year when we deal with other forms of faith (political, nationalistic, familial, etc.).
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner

Postby George James » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Avatar: A picture of me looking good as usual

Signature: "A few thoughts" from one of the most entertaining, all time greatest personas to ever post on this website

Always remember...
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

PreviousNext