Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby JA_son27 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't know if this will help anyone, or if it is relevant but a while ago someone posted a link to a website that made creating my avatar super simple. I just thought I would repost it just in case someone out there is as computer illiterate as I am!

www.avatardr.com
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby Waggs » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Recent La Plata adventure. Pic snapped by globreal.

No quote yet.

Waggs <- truncation of last name
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby irish95 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 pm

My avatar picture was taken during a great sunset from Navaho Lake, after climbing El Diente/Mt Wilson via the ridge. One of the best days I've had in the mountains.

Postby centrifuge » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:22 pm

my avatar photo is one I took on the first winter trip I did that resulted in a successful summit in RMNP. My signatures are almost always quotes from songs that mean something to me at that moment, right now its from "True Faith" by New Order, and has a lot of meaning to me. They are my versions of bible quotes, they represent my personal beliefs in relation to my life since music and the mountains are my religion.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby Craig Cook » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:06 pm

JA_son27 wrote:I don't know if this will help anyone, or if it is relevant but a while ago someone posted a link to a website that made creating my avatar super simple. I just thought I would repost it just in case someone out there is as computer illiterate as I am!

www.avatardr.com

Awesome, thank you! Making an avatar on there is incredibly easy. =D>

My new avatar is a picture of me standing atop my first 14er on July 6, 2010 - Pikes Peak, next to the sign marking 13 miles back to Manitou Springs.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby bigtrout » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:14 am

My avatar is a cropped picture of a cutthroat trout caught from upper Lake of the Clouds in the Sangres. I like to fish, hence the screen name, Bigtrout. The quote is from Caddyshack. Golfing is another one of my hobbies/avocations.
Be Nice; Take Care of Yourself; Work Hard - Stephen Gladbach's Three Rules

Postby Presto » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:33 am

My avatar is our youngest cat named Presto. My signature is a quote from a guy on another mountaineering website in response to a topic wherein people were second guessing a decision made during a climb that did not end up well. :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby fleetmack » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:45 am

i switch my avatar often times, i rotate between a few regularly depending on the season....

current: on crestone needle summit with a helmet over my junk. this is my summer avatar
winter: jumping on my board in front of the matterhorn
mud: silhouette of me at Barafu camp at sunset the night before summiting

Signature: something based on a life-changing conversation i had a several years ago. the conversation was so much more than the signature suggests.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby I fall a lot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:45 am

I tend to fall a lot, resulting in broken cameras and loss of cognitive abilities, thus no avatar nor pithy quote.

Postby TI83plus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 am

My avatar is an image I found online of someone putting a plastic bag over themselves at work (I presume it was work anyway). I have no attachment to this image, and I'm borrowing it without permission :oops: . I thought it was applicable since on any given day at work, I feel like this is happening to me. ](*,) I used to have a picture of me climbing on the "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" sign from along I-70 on the Kansas(where I'm from)/Colorado border, but I felt the need to rotate that out for a while.

My signature is from Dumb and Dumber. I'm not entirely sure why I picked that one. I'm not a skier or anything, I just thought it would be funny. If all my signature does is remind someone of any scene in that movie, and that makes them laugh or lightens their mood somehow, then my mission is complete.

On an unrelated note - I just received word (as of 5 minutes ago) that my friend and usual climbing parter, 'bradyj', has just completed Snowmass - making him an official "Colorado 14er Finisher"!!! Nice work B! =D> =D> =D>
"I said, 'Do you love me?' and she said, 'No, but that's a really nice ski mask.'" - Lloyd Christmas

Postby 3rdwoozie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 am

I'm perched over the Chamonix Vally (5k' below) on the last day of Circumnavigation of Mt. Blanc. What a glorious day it was.

Signature is what I learned after my sons' death. Order of life has been turned upside down.
Last edited by 3rdwoozie on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way a man does one thing, is how he does everything!" Zen proverb

Postby Floyd » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 am

Avatar - close-up of Floyd. Our yellow lab. He was my hiking buddy while I was messing around on the 14ers. Still joins me every now and again (most recently on Clinton earlier this month).
Signature - a quote I read in Backpacker Magazine that sums up how I feel pretty well. My friends are blowing out knees, pulling muscles, and tearing their achillies' while trying to relive their glory days playing various intramural sports - or simply getting fat. I just come back from the hills with a little sunburn, some cuts/scrapes, and sore legs - and great pictures/memories.
Then, a line from "Incommunicado" by Jimmy Buffet. I was a psuedo-parrothead once upon a time.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

PreviousNext