Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby dubsho3000 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 am

TravelingMatt wrote:Signature (for now) is partly a facetious takeoff of a well-known butchered Latin phrase and a partly a statement of my hiking goals. When I climb all fifty-four 14ers I ain't taking no crap from anyone telling me it doesn't count because I didn't do some peak that's on their list but not mine.

I've chuckled several times at your signature Matt - very funny.

My avatar is a poor attempt at applying Andy Warhol's style to a photo of a ptarmigan. And if it's not actually Andy Warhol's style I'm copying, I apologize. I know nothing about art.

Postby Old Goat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:11 am

gdthomas wrote:High School mascot. Any one from Cincinnati would recognize it.

Time Out !!!

I thought it was against the law for an Elder High west-sider to ever stray.
It's O.K. to go off to college to play football at Notre Dame or Boston College, but seriously, shouldn't you be heading back to Glenway Ave. some time soon? [-X

I'm an anchored east-sider who can go to Colorado only on vacations. That's four times per year, so it's not a significant complaint or whine.

Postby Dave B » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:49 am

I think Bear Grylls is a wanker.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby MountainHiker » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:49 am

My avatar is from a 1999 spring climb of Castle. When I signed up I dug through my photos for one that would work when cropped to avatar size. It is scanned from a pre-digital photo print. Aside from thinking it was a good photo to use there is no extra significance to that climb.

My signature is from the Borneman and Lampert fourteener climbing guide. It was “the book” when I first started climbing the fourteeners pre-Roach.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Barb4rian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55 am

Taken at the top of my first winter ascent (Quandary) and then first board of a 14er. I was playing my board like a guitar in the 30+ mph wind at the summit. Can't remember how I got this picture to work on the size requirements lol.

Can't think of a good signature as of now... so none until that day

Postby jlarocco » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Mine is a baby goat we saw in Chicago Basin. Larger picture is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jl_2/4187210398/sizes/l/in/set-72157622878311583/

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:46 pm

My avatar is a photo of me in my cheeseburglar costume with someone dressed in a bear costume (the crested butte mascot, actually)
My signature is usually some nugget of wisdom I was told while communing with a marmot.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby mountain_man » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:55 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:My signature is usually some nugget of wisdom I was told while communing with a marmot.

Awesome.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby Johnson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Good stuff so far!

Mine is from my favorite SNL skit of all time and I have always enjoyed well placed cowbell.

As for the signatures, I have had several, either climbing quotes or Scripture. For a while now I have had a quote from an old Scottish mathematician and church leader as well as a selection of cowbell tunes..... just because.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby altidude » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:33 pm

My avatar?

Well, I'm the Dude, so that's like what you call me. Man.

Postby JA_son27 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:49 pm

I was so proud of my wife, this was her first class three climb and she handled it like a champ! It's still one of my favs. Wetterhorn summit.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby bif » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Its just me on Bierstadt. A extremely joyous hike.

BIf, because some nurses called me that during many night shifts and I have no knowledge why, but it is easy to remember.

Can't think of anything to sign, except maybe " More cowbell"
bif

PreviousNext