Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lugging your DSLR around

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Lugging your DSLR around

Postby Oman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 am

thexcat wrote:I'm also trying to find a solution to carry a my dslr: rebel + 70-200 telephoto lens (f4). If anybody has solved this conundrum, do share please.

I ski with a Clik Elite chest pack. Works fine for hikes, too, though you feel a little like you're wearing a Baby Bjorn. You put it on first and wear your backpack over it. Quick and easy camera access.

Re: Lugging your DSLR around

Postby Bill Cummings » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am

+1 on the bandolier technique

+1 on wrapping & stuffing your camera until you find your "wow moments"

Also: Take a good look at the Canon G12.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734743-REG/Canon_4342B001_PowerShot_G12_Digital_Camera.html
It's Canon's top end point-and-shoot, takes great pictures, small and lightweight, 10MP, shoots RAW (as well as JPEG), accepts filters, and has a good tele capability. The downsides are its kinda small sensor size and limited wide-angle capability. It should be fine for just about anything short of taking pictures for sale or big blowups. If those are your concerns, the decision is already made--lug along the best DSLR you can afford and keep it on your neck.
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Previous