Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Attn. Photographers

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Attn. Photographers

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Quick question - for anyone that has photoshop, do you drop the grand or more for the software and various other products or do you know something I don't? If you do, is it worth it?

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 pm

I think you can get photoshop elements pretty cheap. Or if you are a student you can get the CS5 version at a huge discount.

Postby tmathews » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:25 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Quick question - for anyone that has photoshop, do you drop the grand or more for the software and various other products or do you know something I don't? If you do, is it worth it?

Oddly enough, Brian, I just saw this posted on Newegg.com today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832105807&cm_mmc

I don't know how Photoshop Lightroom compares to those other products, but $120 off is pretty substantial and makes it quasi-affordable.

Postby OmahaAdam » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:26 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Quick question - for anyone that has photoshop, do you drop the grand or more for the software and various other products or do you know something I don't? If you do, is it worth it?

At home I do 90% of my work in Lightroom ($300) and the remaining detail stuff in Photoshop Elements ($100). It's worked out well thus far and I can't say that I miss a whole lot from the CS4 I have at the day job.

**edited to add that if you can score that deal at Newegg, jump on it. Lightroom is fantastic.
Last edited by OmahaAdam on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The_Godfather » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

depends on your idea of having the best photo editing software out there or not. Is it worth it, to the pros, yes without question. To those who are "weekend" photographers, maybe not. But it is the best at stitching in my mind. Overall photo editing, well there are other stand alone software packages out there that make life easier that is for sure. There is a reason why PS is #1 in many peoples mind.

Postby The_Godfather » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 pm

tmathews wrote:

Oddly enough, Brian, I just saw this posted on Newegg.com today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832105807&cm_mmc

I don't know how Photoshop Lightroom compares to those other products, but $120 off is pretty substantial and makes it quasi-affordable.

Lightroom is very simular to PS and you can do many of the same things, and many things are easier in Lightroom that PS. However, you do not have the ability to do layers which is huge in photoshop. There are some out there that run only lightroom with other plugins. Its possible to do all the work without photoshop (except stiching as lightroom does not allow for that that I know of).

Postby OmahaAdam » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 pm

The_Godfather wrote: Is it worth it, to the pros, yes without question. To those who are "weekend" photographers, maybe not.

I'd say that's debatable, but that's probably best kept in another forum. /threadjack

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:30 pm

I justified having my job pay for CS4 on my work laptop. I use gimp (on PC & Mac) for the simple stuff, but use photoshop for all the fancy pano's and occasional HDR's. Not sure if I would pay for it myself, but it sure beats most other programs out there.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Previous