Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

School me on purchasing a Camera

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: School me on purchasing a Camera

Postby mike offerman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:46 am

For those of you with the Canon S90 or S95, do you miss having a longer optical zoom?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 pm

PKelley wrote:I have a Nikon P100 and think its great. It has a 26x optical zoom, wide angle lens, shoots 10 frames per second, is 10.3 megapixel, and also shoots HD video. I got the camera, a case, and a 2 GB high speed memory card for $370 bucks. I am sure that they are cheaper now. Attached is a photo I took of the moon without a tripod.

The focus on this shot is pretty incredible. If no tripod, was this with the self-timer while the camera was placed on a surface? Seems impossible to get this sharpness handheld, regardless of focal length and sharpness of the lens. Again, incredible shot considering a point and shoot.

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 pm

That eagle would be a tough shot for a 300mm lens on a tripod. But a point and shoot handheld? :-k

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm

mike offerman wrote:For those of you with the Canon S90 or S95, do you miss having a longer optical zoom?
Yeah, for about one in a hundred shots. 99% of the time, no. Hence why I leave my DSLR at home and carry the P&S nearly all the time. I use my DSLR when I'm a tourist and car-camping. I just returned from Denali where I occasionally used my GF's Canon S90 and I'm amazed at the crisp, clear shots. Significantly sharper and less noisy than my older P&S. Its all about the sensor size. This attached shot of us at 17K camp, highly re-sampled to 14ers site size requirements, does not do the original justice, but thought I'd throw it on here anyway.
Attachments
foraker_1.jpg
foraker_1.jpg (262.88 KiB) Viewed 751 times

Postby mountain_man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Qulity looks great, esspecially considering the necessary compression, but regardless, that's a pretty epic picture.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby PKelley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 pm

No tripod folks. For the moon shot I was resting the camera in my hand on the side of my truck.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby ptyrg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:33 am

mike offerman wrote:For those of you with the Canon S90 or S95, do you miss having a longer optical zoom?

I have the S90,and don't miss the longer zoom, but I wish it where a little wider angle.

Postby Eschuette » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:42 pm

I went through the point and shoot search this past winter. I planned on spending a good deal of time in the mtns so a few things were more important to me than other people. Features such as longer battery life, decent focal range, decent in low light, and an articulated screen were all on my list.

I ended up going with a cannon G12. It's a little more expensive but if you watch for deals you can find some good ones. It's also a little bigger than some point and shoots but to me that was helpful, I feel I have a better grip on it (so I can be in more awkward positions and windier conditions) and I didn't plan on actually putting it in my pocket very often. The features I have really grown to like with it include the articulated screen, built-in neutral density filter, ease of adjusting manual settings (but taking good pics on auto), tripod adapter, good battery life, and a built in HDR mode. There are many others but those have proved to be especially useful.

There are alot of good point and shoots out there but the best do have a bigger sensor (1.6-1.7). As of now those include the panasonic LX-5, Olympus XZ-1, Cannon S-95, and Cannon G-12. Ultimately making a list of features you are interested in helped me alot. Most importantly though is to get out and use it!!!!
Eric

"In short, there is a kind of supernatural beauty in these mountainous prospects which charms both the senses and the minds into a forgetfulness of oneself and of everything in the world" - Rousseau

https://www.facebook.com/EricSchuettephotography

Postby ngoodnight » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:06 pm

I've used several different P&S cameras in the mountains: G7, G10, S90, D-LUX 5. I think the D-LUX 5 (same camera as the Panasonic LX5) has the best image quality, speed, and range (24mm equivalent) of any P&S I've used. Recently I started using a Lumix GF2 with an assortment of lenses. The camera (micro 4/3) system is pretty compact, and it's a significant step above any of the P&S options in terms of image quality, metering, etc. For me the GF2 is the perfect tradeoff between size/weight and image quality, and the basic kit price is comparable to a high end P&S. I highly recommend it, but if you want to stick with a P&S I think the LX5 (or G12 as close 2nd) is hard to beat.

Postby shredcrazy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:32 pm

i looked through this forum and noticed every talking about Canons being excellent, i have to second that!!!
I use a Canon T1i one of the few Canon SLR's with video taking capability's. Its a fantastic camera, i love it, takes amazing crisp clear photos! But i haven't used any other SLR so i dont have anything to compare it with. i also took a picture of the moon like that but completey handheld and i was suprised how much detail it had.
But for a point and shoot camera's thats a different story. Iv'e had many different brands, and all of them either sucked really bad or were way to expensive for the quality EXCEPT for my Canon Powershot, that thing was amazing and extremely low-priced. My brother bought one of the ultra slim Canons with the tiny lens that was the same price as the powershot and it sucked in low light, so he took it back and got the newer model powershot than i had, and he loves it, its by far the best point and shoot for the price and it takes the best photos ive seen of any point and shoot, its got excellent zoom, handles all light conditions great, takes super sharp photos with great contrast and also shows more vivid life like colors than most camera's, you know, like when you take a sunset photo and its really dull, it takes care of that pretty well. also takes amazing video, most other point and shoots really lack this! one bad thing about it though is it wont zoom while recording, but Canon took care of that on the latest Powershots. (after seeing my brothers photos, my friend also bought a powershot and his can zoom while recording)
So from my experience Canon is the way to go!!!

note: lens size makes the biggest difference in point and shoots, not resolution! ive had cameras that had way more megapixels than the powershot, and the photos were grainy and crappy, also those huge files will eat up your hard drive pretty quick!

Previous