Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

School me on purchasing a Camera

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: School me on purchasing a Camera

Postby PKelley » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I have a Nikon P100 and think its great. It has a 26x optical zoom, wide angle lens, shoots 10 frames per second, is 10.3 megapixel, and also shoots HD video. I got the camera, a case, and a 2 GB high speed memory card for $370 bucks. I am sure that they are cheaper now. Attached is a photo I took of the moon without a tripod.
Attachments
Moon.jpg
Near full moon.
Moon.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 765 times
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby Steve Gio » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:25 pm

What were you like 50 feet away from it? Holy Carp!

Postby mountain_man » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:28 pm

If you have the extra cash and a wireless network in your house, and want a cool toy, get an Eye-Fi card to replace the SD card. It'll automatically download images onto your computer over a wireless network. If you're not lazy like me, then you don't really need it. It doesn't work with all cameras though, but through their website you can see if the one you're going to get is supported.

[Edit] Here are a couple pictures with the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5. You can see the snow in the first picture is overexposed, but perhaps there is something the camera can do about that. The mountain chickadee was nearly ontop of me, (watching me use the facilities actually, quite rude). I can do some post producation at home, so I'm taking my time learning the camera. Another neat thing is it has GPS in it, so as long as you can get reception, it'll encode into the picture where you took the picture. I've had some trouble keeping a signal, but being in mountain terrain, it seems reasonable that it'll be tougher than normal to maintain one.
Attachments
Emerald Lake RMNP.jpg
Emerald Lake RMNP.jpg (343.95 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Mountain Chickadee.jpg
Mountain Chickadee.jpg (280.96 KiB) Viewed 719 times
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby DavidK » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:39 pm

mountain_man wrote:
USAKeller wrote:I should first preface this reply that while I am starting to get into more than just camera/photography basics, I'm not expert. As well, I've been though a handful of [only Canon] cameras (I like them!). I've been extremely happy with the Canon PowerShot SD 1400IS point-and-shoot camera;...

I was looking at the one for a while too. The pictures look great.

I usually haul my DSLR on every hike I take, as well as on every sightseeing vacation, but I recently bought the PowerShot 1400IS and, in the six months I have used it, I have not been disappointed. Granted, it's not a DSLR, but it takes great pictures, is light-weight, and is very user-friendly. Although . . .

PKelley wrote:I have a Nikon P100 and think its great. It has a 26x optical zoom, wide angle lens, shoots 10 frames per second, is 10.3 megapixel, and also shoots HD video. I got the camera, a case, and a 2 GB high speed memory card for $370 bucks. I am sure that they are cheaper now. Attached is a photo I took of the moon without a tripod.

. . . I may have to take a closer look at that Nikon P100 - that picture looks exceptional. :D

Postby traderaaron » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:48 pm

If going for a canon point and shoot the largest sensor available is on the s95 (and one of the fastest lenses too), I think it may be the largest of any point and shoot.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:30 pm

PKelley wrote:I have a Nikon P100 and think its great. It has a 26x optical zoom, wide angle lens, shoots 10 frames per second, is 10.3 megapixel, and also shoots HD video. I got the camera, a case, and a 2 GB high speed memory card for $370 bucks. I am sure that they are cheaper now. Attached is a photo I took of the moon without a tripod.

That's pretty unbelievable resolution for a point and shoot. Even harder to believe without a tripod. Congrats, very nice!

Do you have some other shots with this camera? Would love to see them!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Wish I lived in CO wrote:This thread may be getting a little old for how quickly cameras change, but I went thru the same thing last fall and got several great replies:

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27038

That was a good thread. The s90 is now the s95. The old 1200 I had evolved a couple of times and is a precursor (I believe) of the new 1400. Here's some thoughts back on September 14, 2010:

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
lanternerouge08 wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Take a good look at the Canon S90.

Nice relatively low (10MP) pixel count which is superior, (contrary to popular belief) and a larger-sized (dimensions) sensor which combines to a much lower pixel density which yields significantly less noise and overall great pic quality. Ken Rockwell calls it the second-best P&S out there, second only to the brand-new Canon S95, but I cannot comment on that one since I only have the S90.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

+1....the S90 is the best little camera out there.

I've heard the S90 has user interface issues - but have also heard a lot of folks who love it. I'd strongly consider it. I'd also consider the SX210. I have the SX110, very similar camera, and no complaints. The long zoom does come in handy. I also have a 1200 which is a cheap camera but never failed in a dozen calendar winter 14ers last year in some dreadfully chilling conditions. It weighs 4 oz. It doesn't have the zoom you're looking for and may not have quite the image quality you're after, but at 4 oz and it never dies, it has won a place in my heart for mountaineering. Some of my best has come out of this camera - with a little bit of warm-living-room-and-a-beer-photoshop-work, after the fact. Can't speak to Nikon, as it's a different animal.

I'd go with the SX210 if you don't mind the size. The G11, as mentioned, is a superb tool as well, though heavy. If you are willing to go a little larger and heavier, the new "SLD" cameras may be the way to go (Single Lens Direct.) They are pancake sized DSLRs. This is a most exciting new category of cameras - alpinists take note - as the image quality rivals that of SLRs yet the size and weight is more in line with compacts:

"Sony has done just what they needed to: They've shaken up the camera market. Even though they were fourth to the Single Lens Direct-view digital camera category, the Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 are unique cameras that will be remembered for their design as well as their excellent image quality.

As a longtime Sony fan, I've been waiting for a camera that really feels and works like a Sony. While I wish Sony had stuck with the tried and true Alpha menu system, everything else about this design represents Sony at its finest. Dave and I agree that despite the menu, we'd both be happy to own and carry the NEX-5 to just about any event where an SLR would be inappropriate or cumbersome, and I might even feel confident using the NEX-5 as a backup camera should my SLR fail.

The Sony NEX-5 is not a camera for the seasoned pro, but it just might serve anyone wanting digital SLR quality in a very small, pocketable form factor. We were surprised by the NEX-5's good image quality at all ISOs, and its printed quality was remarkable. For a small camera to output ISO 3,200 images that look amazing when printed at 13x19 inches: that's worth noticing. "

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

BTW, I've found Image Resource to be very helpful for camera reviews (among the best if not the best) - as well as their sister site for SLR lenses.

Good luck, I know you'll be happy with whatever you come up with.

BTW - for low light shooting, use a tripod, or put the camera on a rock and use the self-timer. Make sure you have a setting which will allow longer shutter times, and experiment. You can come up with some great shots with a point and shoot.

Postby PKelley » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Here are a few more simple pics taken with my Nikon P100.
Capitol People Zoomed Out.jpg
Capitol Peak Zoomed Out
Capitol People Zoomed Out.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 597 times

Capitol Zoomed In 2 seconds later....jpg
Capitol Peak from the same spot zoomed in a few seconds later....
Capitol Zoomed In 2 seconds later....jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 595 times

Capitol Lake.jpg
Capitol Lake
Capitol Lake.jpg (152.38 KiB) Viewed 598 times

More to follow....
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby PKelley » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 pm

A few more examples....
Attachments
Balsam Lake.jpg
Balsam Lake - Deep San Juans
Balsam Lake.jpg (156.63 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Capitol.jpg
Capitol from near the trailhead.
Capitol.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Flower and ant.jpg
Flower and ant.
Flower and ant.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Postby HikerLance » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:20 am

Recently purchased a Sony HX7V 16.2MP 10x Optical Zoom. After about 1000 pictures, it is going back. Very
disappointed in the picture quality. Lacking sharp, crisp focus and clarity. Both indoors and out. Back to the
drawing board...

Lance
"If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good." - Dr. Suess :)

Postby PKelley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:06 am

One more zoom example:

These photos were taken from the same spot.
Attachments
Eagle from road zoomed in.jpg
Eagle from road zoomed in.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Eagle from road unzoomed.jpg
Eagle from road unzoomed.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Postby mountain_man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 am

DavidK wrote:I usually haul my DSLR on every hike I take, as well as on every sightseeing vacation...

I used to haul a DSLR around, but in addition to all the space it took up in my pack, it was too cumbersome to keep removing from my pack everytime I wanted to take a picture. I never have liked shoulder/neck straps either. You can do a lot with a point and shoot, but if I were to get into professional photography, I would certainly use a DSLR.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

PreviousNext