Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

School me on purchasing a Camera

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

School me on purchasing a Camera

Postby zoriloco » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:55 am

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please feel free to move it if need be.

Some how I lost my Nikon point and shoot camera so my wife asked me what do you want for fathers day. I was thinking of a new Camera. Im just not sure what isthe best bang for my buck. I really cant afford to pay $1200 for a super fancy camera, but I do want to spend around $200-300 and it will be used mostly outdoors.

My last camera did terrible in the dark, pictures would come out moved even though i tried to adjust it many times.

Please help me pick my next camera.

Thanks !!

Re: School me on purchasing a Camera

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:04 pm

If you want to stay in that $200-300 price range you'll basically be limited to point and shoot cameras, the Canon sd4000 is probably one of the better point and shoot compact cameras. The canon s95 is a step up from the sd400 but at a higher price point as well. The micro 4/3 and mirrorless cameras are the new thing, smaller than an DSLR but with much larger sensors than point and shoot cameras, here you are looking at around $500 though and up. Might also look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ series with an EVF which I really find useful for composing images.
Last edited by traderaaron on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ptyrg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:21 pm

The Canon S95 is a great little compact camara, it has good low light/high ISO images, can shoot in Raw or jpeg files. It has a nice wide angle lens, for outdoor shooting. This is one of few compacts that can give you super quality photo's outside of a DSLR. The downside of this camara is it is in the $400.00, range.
Don't be fooled by the compacts that boast 12 or 14 mega pixels, that is to many pixels for a camara that size. 10 is about the max, or low light shots really start to suffer.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:07 pm

This thread may be getting a little old for how quickly cameras change, but I went thru the same thing last fall and got several great replies:

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27038
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby mattpayne11 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:51 pm

You may also be able to get a used Nikon D90 from someone at that price, if they are desperate. I have an app on my phone that alerts me whenever someone posts "Nikon" or "Sigma" on Craigslist so I can get good deals on stuff. It might be worth trying (or you can go the Canon route too)... or you can get a P+S camera. I like using the following sites:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

This site is my absolute favorite for comparing in a simple way:

http://snapsort.com/

Good luck!

Postby Dex » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby dfrizzle » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:21 pm

i have this one http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS7-Digital-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B00395WIXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308021464&sr=1-1
and love it! it shoots hd video and zooms while shooting. the intelligent auto mode works well but it also has lots of manual options for the shutter, aperture, etc. it's compact and lightweight for the hikes and also has a great zoom. i bought it for about $70 cheaper for what it sells for now which says that even though it's been out for a year, it's still a great camera.
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.

Postby peakinout » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Don't over look an iPhone along with the camera+ app. It has amazing editing capabilities, seriously, and you will always have it with you.

Postby mountain_man » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:51 am

After extensive research I recently bought a Sony Cybershot DSC HX5. 10 MP, with 10x zoom. It's a great all around point and shoot camera, and is known for its low light abilities. I find it has incredible trouble with super bright things such as snow, but maybe every camera has that problem. Landscapes shots are relatively decent, and has a pan option, but doesn't do a full 360 degrees. I just take two and piece them together at home. HD video, and a multitude of shooting options. I'm still learning the camera, so maybe there's more that I don't know. I think I got it for under $300. I ended up getting it because every review I read and saw had hardly anything bad to say.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby USAKeller » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:36 am

zoriloco wrote:Some how I lost my Nikon point and shoot camera so my wife asked me what do you want for fathers day. I was thinking of a new Camera. Im just not sure what isthe best bang for my buck. I really cant afford to pay $1200 for a super fancy camera, but I do want to spend around $200-300 and it will be used mostly outdoors.

My last camera did terrible in the dark, pictures would come out moved even though i tried to adjust it many times.

Please help me pick my next camera.

I should first preface this reply that while I am starting to get into more than just camera/photography basics, I'm not expert. As well, I've been though a handful of [only Canon] cameras (I like them!). I've been extremely happy with the Canon PowerShot SD 1400IS point-and-shoot camera; 14.1 Megapixel, 4x optical zoom, 28mm wide-angle lens, nice small size and big LCD screen, and lots of awesome features (I had been looking for a point-and-shoot with a fish-eye function to say the least, and this was the first one I found that didn't require AA batteries). Origianlly it was $300, but I got it half off on Black Friday after this past Thanksgiving. I see now the price has dropped to $199! I showed it to a few co-workers and they literally went to buy it that day as they were very impressed - and still are.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Here are a few sample images I took using it on a climb/ski of Columbia...

One feature I really like is Color Accent; I chose red to capture (on my skis), and everything else except red is captured in black-and-white:

Pretty sharp color and resolution in the early morning hours:
Rise and grind. Every day.

Postby zoriloco » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks guys!!

I really appreciate all the good information.

Postby mountain_man » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm

USAKeller wrote:I should first preface this reply that while I am starting to get into more than just camera/photography basics, I'm not expert. As well, I've been though a handful of [only Canon] cameras (I like them!). I've been extremely happy with the Canon PowerShot SD 1400IS point-and-shoot camera;...

I was looking at the one for a while too. The pictures look great.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Next