Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hidden Zion

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Hidden Zion

Postby Kane » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Zion is without a doubt, one of the most fantastic landscapes you'll encounter. If you love mountains; do a little Zion Summits research, and go see them. See them up close and personal. Your experience will never be forgotten, I gaurentee it!

Here's the research....

http://www.13ergirl.com/zion.html
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-peak-bagging.htm

My brother has travelled the world (Nepal, Bolivia, Vietnam, Europe, Bhutan) as a KE Adventures biking/trekking guide… once said…”you need to check out Zion Kane.” This is a fella that’s made the Roaring Fork Valley his home for 20 years, and I can’t get him to join me for an Elk Mountain climbing adventure, for 20 years! It just doesn’t motivate him. So Zion it is.

I made my first trip to Zion with the intention of breaking the typical rules for visiting. I will not shoot “up” at Zion. My goal was to find weaknesses in the canyons and the sheerness of the near vertical walls of sandstone that appear to be everywhere. That way I could level myself out with the terrain to shoot across the incredible landscape. Next, I needed great views. Not just a view of a vertical wall of rock with nice light, but more of a view that showed mountainous layering, with nice light. It’s the layering that’s key. Google Earth made this happen.

Next I contacted a few old acquaintance from my climbing days (Kevin Baker,) and he cleared up all my questions that Google Earth could not answer.

Next I found partners. We agreed that we would need to carry a gallon of water a day minimum to survive the desert conditions. Then we decided that we would do two separate trips from Denver to Zion in May, and do two-day-two-night trips both visits. That meant backpacking up to 4 miles and carrying 2 gallons of water in addition to the food, camera gear and overnight pack gear for two night trips. Never carried that much weight!

First trip we climbed Progeny Peak and shot sunset and sunrise from the summit. The next day we headed into the southeast slick rock zone and shot sunrise and sunset near a locally named peak called “Destination Peak.” Both vistas centered on the great East Temple Peak, a massive mountain that cannot go unrecognized when visiting Zion.

The next trip to Zion was a pure backpack trip back into the southeast slick rock zone. Both nights we shot from a peak called “Roof Peak,” and “Hepworth Peak.”

Both trips we had excellent shooting conditions (nice clouds) with the exception of wind. On one occasion I came back from a sunset shooting to a flattened tent full of sand. I would call that day a “wind event.” Before the flattened tent episode, I laid in my tent, on my back, with my limbs spread out holding the walls up. Gail force winds would roar through our area and it would sound like a jet engine.

Both trips were incredibility intense shooting. The kind of shooting that you compare to your all time best outings. As my buddy Jim said, “this is flavor country.”

All in all I’m excited about my time in Zion. I will certainly be going back to explore different nooks and cranny’s. I hope you enjoy the gallery.

http://www.kaephotography.com/gallery/zion-hidden/

Re: Hidden Zion

Postby mtgirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I agree, Kane. Zion is a magical place. Beautiful images you captured !

I'm headed back there myself July 1st - mostly for some canyoneering (Mystery and Pine Creek Canyons). Last summer, I did the technical route thru the Subway and explored Orderville Canyon and the Zion Narrows. All of these places would be heaven for someone who possesses your photography skills. The views from Observation Point and Angel's Landing aren't too shabby either, although a bit crowded.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Scott P » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Zion is spectacular. Being a photographer, I knew you would like it.

Excellent photos.

All of these places would be heaven for someone who possesses your photography skills.

Agreed. Those are some of the most spectucular places in the world.

I like climbing the peaks in Zion and they are very beautiful and spectacular, but the canyons must be visited as well. The combination of water, light and rocks makes them some of the most scenic places on earth (Tanya's photos):

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby mtgirl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 pm

And some of my own shots. Imagine the images you could capture with your skills, Kane !

Orderville Canyon:

Zion Narrows:

The Subway:

Another one approaching the Subway from the top:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Kane » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:21 am

Oh my! love those canyoneering images. Yep, I'm not done with Zion. Being a rookie the first time I went to Zion, I actually had the Narrows down as a place to visit. Had no idea the Virgin River was running 1000cfs. I think it was 100cfs before they open the Narrows to the public. Obviously didn't do my research.