Let's see your black & whites!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Let's see your black & whites!!

Post by tlongpine »

from a quick stop at Arches on the way to the the Needles District.
jillianbw.jpg
jillianbw.jpg (240.95 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

Princeton.jpg
Princeton.jpg (207.65 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by a forest »

kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

yedi wrote:Thanks, Kiefer. That's really nice of you.

I like your Saint James Hotel picture. It's very Shining-esque. Sort of gives me the willies just looking at it. Did you stay there? Is it creepy or kind of cool to have all that history around you?
It's only creepy the first night. After that you hope and want to see a ghost.

Here's a series of pics I took back in 2007 when the St. James was run by the previous ownership. The joint was a lot spookier back then. The current ownership cleaned things up a bit, for better and worse.

Dawson, back up the highway about 15 miles, has experienced more than its share of tragedy. More than 200 miners lost their lives in a single accident at a Dawson coal mine. Most of the miners are buried beneath a sea of crosses at the old Dawson cemetery.

Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

kimo wrote:
yedi wrote:Thanks, Kiefer. That's really nice of you.

I like your Saint James Hotel picture. It's very Shining-esque. Sort of gives me the willies just looking at it. Did you stay there? Is it creepy or kind of cool to have all that history around you?
It's only creepy the first night. After that you hope and want to see a ghost.

Here's a series of pics I took back in 2007 when the St. James was run by the previous ownership. The joint was a lot spookier back then. The current ownership cleaned things up a bit, for better and worse.

Dawson, back up the highway about 15 miles, has experienced more than its share of tragedy. More than 200 miners lost their lives in a single accident at a Dawson coal mine. Most of the miners are buried beneath a sea of crosses at the old Dawson cemetery.
I like that last shot of the registry, Kimo. It's very poignant.
I'd agree. The first night is kind of overwhelming. Simply because there's SO MUCH history there. I mean, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Billy the Kid, Doc Holliday, Buffalo Bill Cody & Zane Gray among others have
stayed there. The ceiling in the bar has never been replaced. It still has bullet holes in it. 26 confirmed deaths took place there. It WAS a little weird standing outside of room #18 & seeing a pad lock on the door.

Even if the paranormal is not your thing (I actually did have something 'odd' happen the second night), the history is simply amazing. Plus, it makes for a great basecamp while hiking the local peaks in the Sangre de Cristos/Cimarron Canyon or Eagles Nest, like we did.
You'll need permission first to access the peaks in the Philmount Scout Ranch (If they even grant it. They didn't for us).
After Dec. 1st, I believe all rooms are 20% off for off-season. From the Springs, it's only a 3 hour drive, give or take.
I'll be going back sometime in December.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

From the Eagle Crags near Zion:
Towers.jpg
Towers.jpg (190.07 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Taking a break from the Cascades in the Orca Islands:
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (174.35 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Hallett Peak afternoon.
Hallet Peak.jpg
Hallet Peak.jpg (306.01 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
long view Capitol.jpg
long view Capitol.jpg (321.53 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
NickRhyne
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NickRhyne »

A couple from Great Sand Dunes National Park recently

Amateur photographer who loves hiking and backpacking.

http://www.500px.com/nickhenderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eschuette
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Eschuette »

Here are a few more modest additions to the photos in this wonderful thread. There are a lot of wonderful moments captured here!! Hope you enjoy....
Attachments
ready to dive into the mtns
ready to dive into the mtns
un1.jpg (321.88 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
ghosts of the fall
ghosts of the fall
pl-2.jpg (285.37 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
glacier
glacier
gnp1-2.jpg (227.75 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Eric

"In short, there is a kind of supernatural beauty in these mountainous prospects which charms both the senses and the minds into a forgetfulness of oneself and of everything in the world" - Rousseau

Instagram Id: ericschuettephotography
https://www.facebook.com/EricSchuettephotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
desert_diver
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by desert_diver »

These are not mountaineering photos, but I rather like them.
Attachments
Windmill near Chloride, NM
Windmill near Chloride, NM
IMG_8370_bw2_sm.jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Haystock Rock, Oregon Coast
Haystock Rock, Oregon Coast
CRW_4225_bw1_sm2.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Suguaro Cactus Skeleton
Suguaro Cactus Skeleton
IMG_7543_bw1_sm2.jpg (120.97 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jlarocco »