Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Help--I need a picture

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Help--I need a picture

Postby steelfrog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:58 am

I am putting together a book of my trip with my daughter in the Sierra last summer. We had an incident involving an animal at night in the forest, with glowing eyes. I didn't get a picture. I just was looking for a pic with glowing animal eyes in the dark, preferably in a forest. Just the eyes, staring from the forest. Believe it or not, I haven't yet been able to find one on-line. Anyone have any?

Re: Help--I need a picture

Postby bonehead » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 am

Google
Images
glowing animal eyes
1,300,000 results
Good Luck

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:27 am

eyes.jpg
eyes.jpg (119.33 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby dmdoug » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Looks like the two green dots used as bear eyes in this video from the John Muir Trail. The eyes aren't until about 22 minutes in but it's a great video if you have the time.
http://vimeo.com/7851505

Postby CO Native » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Just a deer, which is usually the case when people see eyes watching them...
eyes_tonemapped.jpg
eyes_tonemapped.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

CO Native wrote:Just a deer, which is usually the case when people see eyes watching them...

Good ID Josh!
Although, not sure... but this could be strongmelon photographed when he night summited K2 while using infrared goggles?
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 pm

CO Native wrote:Just a deer, which is usually the case when people see eyes watching them...

Yep, I knew that. Still gets your attention in the woods at night :D.

Watching how the eyes move around, and how high they are from the ground can tell you a lot about what they're attached to.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm

joeyj wrote:Although, not sure... but this could be strongmelon photographed when he night summited K2 while using infrared goggles?

I think he's now known as Gonemelon.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:27 pm

highpilgrim wrote:I think he's now known as Gonemelon.

True. His antagonistic cheap shots got old in a hurry. Been nice not having to deal with that. Just hope he doesn't reappear as another reincarnated form of some other super-climber or self appointed hero...
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Postby steelfrog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

OK--I'll tell you the story, which is interesting.

I am taking each of my 6 kids on a Big Trip by themselves the summer before they start the 9th grade year. The first one was this past summer. We went to Yosemite, starting near White Wolf in the high country, we hiked all the way up through Ten Lakes Basin, Tuolumne Peak, over through Glen Aulin, up to Young Lakes, up Mt. Conness, into 20 Lakes Basin, etc. Also then went down to Bishop Pass area, did Cloudripper, Agassiz, etc--watched the Perseids from a near 13k campsite, etc. Epic.

ANYWAY, as we started this epic 10 days trip, she asks "Are there bears here like Big Bend." I said yes, there are bears, but not like Big Bend. Well, not 20 minutes after that we come around a corner in the trail and there is a GIANT black bear (possibly 350-400 pounds) sitting happy as can be in a berry patch about 30 feet from us. And not moving. He wasn't about to give up his comfy spot. A little scary. We got some pictures and motored. 15 minutes later we startle another one right on the trail, a smaller, cinnamon-colored one that took off when we ran up on it.

So, we had started our hike at 5 p.m. and by 7:30 or so, about 6 miles in, we needed to make camp. Found a place with a nice log to sit on and eat, etc. The "stinky food" (i.e., that we would eat right away and not put into a bear canister--fresh turkey sandwiches, etc) was our dinner.

So, imagine this scene--we haven't seen a human or deer or any other animal all evening. We HAVE seen bears, and tons of bear scat. We set up camp, are sitting on a log in the dark in the middle of Yose high country, off the trail on an undeveloped campsite of our own making. Sitting on a log, eating meat. Scanning the woods with our headlamps. When eyes appear out in the forest. Not little eyes close to the ground. Big eyes up far from the ground. They stare at us (and we at them) for a couple of long minutes. Then, they start to move and appear to be coming right toward us. I stand up (to look bigger) and start yelling and making all sorts of noise, etc. The damn eyes then start apparently RUNNING toward us! At that point, you could have made a diamond in my butthole (pardon the turn of phrase, but it's true). Just as it crosses my mind to find a weapon of some kind, our headlamps illuminate the deer.

Holy crap. So, I tell my daughter, without too much trembling in my voice, "Oh, look Sweety. It's just a deer. Ha" :-"

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

steelfrog wrote:He wasn't about to give up his comfy spot. A little scary. We got some pictures and motored.

Can you post a photo or two of this big guy?
Always like wild encounter bear photos!
John Wooden

Postby Steve Gio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 pm

+1 on the picture of black bear.

And thanks for the story. Got my blood going. Animal encounters are always exciting.

Next