Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

My best 7 fourteener shots of 2010

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: My best 7 fourteener shots of 2010

Postby Lefty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!
Great work.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

Not all those who wander are lost.
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm

kimo wrote:Your work Kane appears more visceral, more dangerous, more foreboding – strength before beauty (though they are beautiful photos). Jody’s images invite me to hang around and count the roses for a while, whereas your work reminds me not to linger for too long. And watch my step. The abyss can swallow a person whole.

I’m thinking if Stephen King looked at these he could come up with a story. Maybe more Dark Tower.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Nicely done, Kane!
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 pm

You have some incredible talent, Kane. Thanks so much for sharing these with us. LOVE #3 !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 pm

While I too must admit my jaw drops in awe at your talent, I am unsure of my favorite image, #6.

I will admit I am not the best at peak recognition, but am I correct in believing this is Capitol in the background and I would imagine a different angle than normal of Snowmass in the foreground?
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby Gueza » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Those photos are terrible!!! I mean look at that contrast and color
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Wow, a lot of nice comments. Thanks to all.

Kimo, I think your assessment is interesting. Jody and I have a lot in common however we have never been out together. We both enjoy suffering to get nice mountain photos! I think we sort of inspire one another; I certainly know his stuff motivates and inspires me and I would hope my stuff is of some interest to him. He is extremely talented. He makes Front Range 14ers look like San Juan stuff. I can't do that.

We both look for unique Mountain perspective opportunities, and go for them. I know of one Maroon Bells perspective that he discovered that I later visited and picked up one of my favorite shots http://www.kaephotography.com/photo/north-maroon/. I discovered a unique perspective of Pyramid http://www.kaephotography.com/photo/epic-morning-2/?gallery=fourteeners in 2009 and he shot the exact perspective in 2010. I'm not certain my images of Pyramid inspired Jody to capture that perspective but it wouldn't surprise me considering that route up that elevener gets about 1 visitor a year, says the summit log.

We both work very hard to get the shot. Climbing mountains requires a lot of research. Climbing satellite sub summits encompassing great mountains to gain new photo perspectives takes even more research. Layer in the idea of being in the right place at sunset or sunrise adds a completely different set of rules to follow, most importantly, a solid understanding of mountain weather. I have three kids and a beautiful wife; I'm not interested in getting blown to pieces by lighting to get a great shot. Also, Jody and I take a physical beat-down carrying all the camera gear (12-15lbs) off trail to specific spots. Lastly, we both rely heavily on technology; a GPS unit (Garmin 60csx) to get us to a researched spot in the morning or back to safety in the dark; often hiking hours off trail depending on the little computer GPS. Extra batteries, an additional headlamp a must!!!

For me, it comes down to addiction. I'm totally addicted to magic lighting. I climbed over 400 summits in Colorado before concentrating on climbing mountains for sunset and sunrise photo opportunities. There's nothing quite like hanging out for a few hours and watching a sunset or sunrise happen, watching the beautiful terrain just pop with color and contrast. Climbing peaks during the day just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.

Again, thanks for the nice comments.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 pm

lostsheep5, that's a photo from Haystack Mountain last Mermorial Day 2010. The pointy more beautiful peak is Mount Daly. It's all about perspective. In my opinion, Daly steals the show and the mighty Capitol is just a detail enhancing Daly.

Postby Gueza » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Kane wrote:lostsheep5, that's a photo from Haystack Mountain last Mermorial Day 2010. The pointy more beautiful peak is Mount Daly. It's all about perspective. In my opinion, Daly steals the show and the mighty Capitol is just a detail enhancing Daly.

Its awesome to see different photo of Capitol for a change. The black and white of Capitol is awesome.
Great work, keep em coming!
Last edited by Gueza on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby somethingrandom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Kane-

You didnt answer my question in the last group of replies but your link took care of it and I found the one I was looking for ;)

I will likely be ordering one of those and can only say you have a real talent!
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Previous