Wildlife

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
S-Pett
14ers: 37 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wildlife

Post by S-Pett »

I came home one day and found this young lady eating a box of my cereal. She was trying to push through the screen to get out, I got this picture and left the house and I think she got out the way she got in...through a open window.
Attachments
Raccoon in my house sm.jpg
Raccoon in my house sm.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
http://www.seanpettersen.com
"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment" - Ansel Adams
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Skip Perkins »

S-Pett,
1. Great coffee maker. I have the same one.
2. Even the raccoons in Colorado are fit. The Wisconsin raccoons are fat and sassy.
3. I think she peed in your dish soap.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Sean, that's a pretty cool shot. I swear you're a wildlife magnet!

One gorgeous warm summer night, Tasha (my dearly departed feline friend of 16 years) really didn't want to come in, and I couldn't blame her. She looked so content on the back patio, so I left the door open for her. An hour later, she was in bed, just as I'd figured. Then I woke up during the night. I heard her out in the kitchen eating from her food bowl. But she was being very noisy. Much louder than normal. Then I reached over and realized she was in bed. Uh-oh. Hey, if you're here, who the hell is that out in the kitchen?

As I walked into the kitchen to inspect, Mama Raccoon was just heading for the door, a few kids in tow, single file, and out they went. :shock:

Those animals are smart, but they sure are messy. The food and water bowls were a muddy mess. :roll:

Say, anyone have any more shots of bobcats or mountain lions? Those guys are hard to find. (I think Mtgirl was pretty lucky - but she might think otherwise :D )
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

These pics are not from Colorado, but I thought some turkeys would add some spice to the mix.

mama and chicks in the backyard
Attachments
out my back door. 9 chicks
out my back door. 9 chicks
2009 Vacation 003.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
mama leading chicks across front yard
mama leading chicks across front yard
Jinny+Jeep 084.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 6265 times
Last edited by Iguru on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Skip Perkins »

This was also with my trail camera at the same location as the fisher. I almost deleted it as nothing and then took a broader look. It's one of those, "Can you find the bobcat in this picture?"
bobcat.JPG
bobcat.JPG (109.71 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Here's a shot from last Thursday. The little guys are growing up. Mom's bringing them all sorts of stuff. Got a deer leg in the yard, a stuffed toy they play with, these kids got it made.

But this one is still my favorite (nice work, Sean) ...

Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Craig Cook »

Skip Perkins wrote:This was also with my trail camera at the same location as the fisher. I almost deleted it as nothing and then took a broader look. It's one of those, "Can you find the bobcat in this picture?"
bobcat.JPG
Wow, sneaky little thing! Did you know it was there while taking the picture?

And the fox with the coffee cup is hilarious!
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 2#43523752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesing story, even if you're not a marmot fan...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

A few recent shots with a Pentax K-r and 50-200mm. Please forgive the captions. I was having a little fun. :)
Attachments
IMGP0994-4.JPG
IMGP0994-4.JPG (324.22 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
IMGP0893-1.JPG
IMGP0893-1.JPG (337.82 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
IMGP0847-2.JPG
IMGP0847-2.JPG (269.47 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Here's one I got the other day on a bike ride in the Pikes Peak foothills. This little cutie ran across the trail. It was all I could do to stop and thought I'd totally scared it, but it was most curious about what a mountain bike might be. So managed a few photos as it peered out from the brush by the side of the trail. They are so well camaflaged that I had to bring up brightness and contrast of the fawn itself to really even see it in the image.

First day of Summer
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Baby Raccoon in my gas grill
Attachments
Racoons! 003 (Small).jpg
Racoons! 003 (Small).jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 5288 times
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainmanny »

you bear'ly got those pics! :lol:
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon