Wildlife

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wildlife

Post by gurlyclimber »

These pics are great! I need to learn how to take a photo where the subject stands out while the background is blurry.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

gurlyclimber wrote:These pics are great! I need to learn how to take a photo where the subject stands out while the background is blurry.
This is easiest using an SLR. A "fast" lens is best; something with an aperture of f/2.8 or less is preferable. Expose using the lowest aperture setting, and adjust the shutter speed. This will create a narrow depth of field, so the foreground and background will be out of focus, leaving only the subject in focus. This is also known as "bokeh" (pronounced like "bouquet.")

Sounds complicated, but it's not.

Edit: It's also possible to do with a compact that has manual control or possibly an appropriate pre-set.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

It does sound confusing but I'll see what I can do. Thank you.

Speaking of blurry, this is what happens when you're hiking and you suddenly see a big bear walking towards you. :D At least I had the quick instincts to take a shot. It looks very Monet.

Last edited by gurlyclimber on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

I usually don't run across pika that are so unconcerned and uninterested in people.
Attachments
pika.JPG
pika.JPG (265.92 KiB) Viewed 5242 times
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Love the pika! Cute and very close shot. Great work!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

One of my favorite wildlife shots is this spontaneous hand held one with a Sony point and shoot. This very old bison stayed in the proper lane for the entire length of his visibility on the road (which I found astonishing).....taken at the crack of dawn at the south entrance to Yellowstone Park (a friend on the trip still kicks himself for not getting a shot):
ph-10856-5.jpg
ph-10856-5.jpg (240.18 KiB) Viewed 5176 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Mama and baby on the summit of Mt Evans today...

"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

I am running out of superlatives......those are fantastic shots of the mountain goats. I think the irony of the top shot is that the relative lack of sharpness actually adds to the appeal.....the softness lending itself to the tender unity of mama and "kid". Nice! Excellent comp and exposure too.

The bottom shot is tack sharp and looks like you used a polarizer? Great perspective on the goat's terrain.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

There were a whole bunch of young marmots running around along the Isabelle Glacier Trail in the Indian Peaks today. This was the only one that didn't run away from me.
Marmot6017-web.jpg
Marmot6017-web.jpg (248.15 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
Attachments
Marmot6000-web.jpg
Marmot6000-web.jpg (224.38 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainmanny »

Mama Moose and Calf on Muddy Pass near Rabbit Ears East Summit.
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
killstorm
14ers: 8 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killstorm »

Mountain goat on Bison Peak.

A couple of ptarmigan staring me down at Blue Lake in RMNP.

Arctic fox pup from St. Paul Island in the Bering Sea.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Hagar Mountain...
goats.small.jpg
goats.small.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"