Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

mountain photography calendar

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: mountain photography calendar

Postby Toni Marie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Wow, lots of these photos are stunning! Anyone have a couple hints to good photography for an amateur like me?
Toni Marie
"I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."

Postby MtHurd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

yorksman wrote:
Barry Raven wrote:Here ya go. Apparently someone doesn't like CMC stuff, so get Todd Caudle's stuff instead.

http://www.skylinepress.com/calendars_2011.htm

FYI - Todd actually puts the CMC Calendar together on behalf of the CMC.

Then by all means, get the calendar. Not only is Todd a great photographer, he's a stand up guy.

Toni Marie,

Get a good digital camera and learn how to use the manual settings. It helps to have a wide angle lens and a good zoom. I use a Sony Cybershot 10x zoom 14.1 megapixels wide-angle lens. After that it's about location and the time of day. If you want to get shots like Kane gets, you'll have to get up before dawn and hike like an animal for sunrise in some very remote and less traveled places.

Postby Mindy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 pm

A compilation of forum members could also be cool - maybe a member contest turned into fundraiser sort of thing......
Last edited by Mindy on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bif » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I did not intend to open a can of worms . What I thought would really happen was someone would say , you should by the 14ers calender and you can find it here. I will get one from one of your recommendations thanks.
bif

Postby unclegar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:30 pm

yorksman wrote:
unclegar wrote:I just bought this calendar at a calendar store in the mall. Didn't realize it was a CMC thing until I got home with it. I was thinking of making my own too. Maybe next year.

Just curious whats wrong with it being a CMC calendar, you bought it for the pictures right?

Not a thing wrong with it being a CMC calendar. Just didn't notice it until I got home and thought it was interesting that I didn't notice it. That's the problem with the internet; sometimes hard to tell intent. Maybe I should have written "CMC thingy" and it would have sounded less like an attitude. :D Separate from the calendar I bought, I would like to make one sometime when I have time.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby JohnP FTC » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:24 pm

If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby Darren Kilgore » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 am

Monster5 wrote:Yorksman - how did the final Calendar product from Zazzle turn out? I was pretty disappointed with my personalized kinkos calendars once they came in - the images turned out pretty dull, dark, and fuzzy with their printing.

Allow me to respond on behalf of Jody; I work with him and led him to Zazzle as an option originally. I was going to be working on a full review anyway, but I'll share the main points. This year was the first time either of us had done one. My version is here. In short, this calendar is one notch below top-notch; in other words, very impressive. Read on.

My main criteria for my own calendar, which I've put off for a couple of years, was to have it in the larger 11x14 format. There aren't many printers that offer this size, and I believe Zazzle is the only one I've found to date. I'm still looking for others to try to compare to in the future. I wasn't sure what to expect quality-wise going into it, though. I ordered my first one before Jody, but he received his first. Overall, it looked very good. One of the main things I was hoping going into it was a thicker paper stock and not the flimsy stuff Kinkos and other similar outfits use. The paper is pretty much perfect; the covers are slightly heavier than the internal pages. The front is glossy, the back cover is not, and the internal pages are matte, which is desirable.

Color reproduction on the cover seems to be dead-on. Some of Jody's interior pictures were a bit muted in saturation compared to the original. One image was soft, though the original is sharp. The only other flaw his had were a couple of narrow vertical (slightly) darker bands on left third of the image, though only noticeable on images with a plain background, such as sky; you'd never see it on busier images. Otherwise, it is standard (good) photographic print quality; images are not dull, fuzzy, or dark.

When I received my first copy, color saturation seemed to me pretty much accurate on everything. I also had one image that was very soft, though it was fine on-screen. I sharpened it further and the subsequent copies I've ordered and received reflect this. I'm not sure what happened in their printing process. My images with a plain sky also exhibit the vertical banding throughout the image, and in a different pattern than Jody's. It's fairly minor, and only the most picky of us would see it as a substantial flaw; casual viewers might not even see it unless the whole picture is of one solid tone. Other than that, the back cover scratches very easily; the internal pages do as well, but they don't rub against anything. Handle it with care if you plan to hang onto it for archival purposes. The only other negative aspect is the preceding and following months in the date boxes are not readable as they're too small, which is disappointing.

Zazzle's interface could use some work on their site, as the workspace is very small. Text caption placement was probably the toughest thing to get right to make sure my alignment was uniform. Still, it's doable, and with some time, it shouldn't really cause a problem.

Overall, it's a bit expensive, but you aren't going to find one-off print runs for much less. I am quite happy with mine and it looks very sharp. If not for the vertical banding, it looks and feels professional grade. Again, if you use detailed images, you'll not see this. If you want to see your work displayed in a quality calendar, I can strongly recommend Zazzle. I know you'd be happy, especially after what you describe the result as being from Kinkos.

Postby paul109876 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 am

I made a couple of calendars using Kinko's/Fed Ex. I thought they turned out pretty good. I did one of just my Colorado Hikes and one of Southwest hikes that included Co. and utah.

Easy enough to do and the cost was about 20$.
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby Skip Perkins » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am

Based on a recommendation from this web site, I went to the Zazzle web site and designed my own calendar using all of my own digital photos. I was very impressed with the final product and the service. I somehow missed changing the text to a color that was readable the first time and they emailed me and had me change the text. The process is simple and the quality is excellent.
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Postby bif » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:30 am

Hey, it the day before Christmas , so i better start shopping.

Dancesatmoonrise, does not have a calendar this year( Jim, thanks for getting back to me on that, next year then).

So I ordered Jody's calendar.

Next year I want one of all the mountains I hiked.. Bierstadt and Pikes. A small calendar, so sad.

Thanks for all your input.
bif

Postby Eaglevu » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 pm

CMC members, like myself, can buy the calendar from the clubhouse office in Golden at a discount, or online:

Order online at www.skylinepress.com/fourteeners.htm, email info@skylinepress.com, or call Toll-free: (888)540-8635. Do NOT order here (CMC Website).

Fourteener photographs by nine CMC members were selected for this year's calendar. They accompany images taken by Todd Caudle, who produces the calendar. Hot off the press, get your copy at Base Camp Adventure Store or online.

This year's peaks include Windom, Quandary, Democrat, Little Bear, Kit Carson, Huron, Massive, Sneffels, Tabeguache, Castle, the Belford/Oxford combo and those ever famous Maroon Bells.
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)

Previous