Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Huge Photography Competition!!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Huge Photography Competition!!!

Postby WI Lou » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:50 am

Voted! Great photo!
Whatever your endeavor or dream, pursue it with determination, imagination, a positive attitude, a sense of wonder....with the heart of an explorer.

Michael Cohen at the conclusion of the Bancroft/Arnesen expedition

Postby ptwobbabs » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:00 am

how does a (then) 16 year old have a 4runner with which to go storm chasing?

Postby BostonBD » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:48 am

Got my vote. Nice shot!

Postby Steve Gio » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:26 am

Just curious since you did this last year as well. How did you fare then?

Postby adkinsadam1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Thank you so much everyone! And thanks for last year - I received 1st place!

Postby adkinsadam1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:59 pm

Sorry for not posting this in the correct forum initially!

Postby WasatchPow » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:26 pm

Seems like you have some good work going... Not to hate, but all those photos are all so photoshopped and HDR'd - it's ridiculous.
The only one that looks legit is the donkey in the green pasture.

Postby unclegar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Voted. Very nice! Also liked the reflection and the otter pic.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby adkinsadam1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks a lot for the votes! But just for the record, the only PS done to my image was sharpening and crop! For real!

Postby adkinsadam1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Well I did not stitch anything at all. And by storm passing are you talking about mine?

Postby Jesse Peterson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 pm

There was some stiff competition in there but you got my vote. Sweet photo, dude.

Some of those other shots definitely look way over-Photoshopped/HDR'ed. But I can believe that yours was not. As far as "the grass not matching the sky," that's what happens with washed low angle sunlight on stormy days-- which is why this photo is special. The only thing more obnoxious than over-Photoshopping is photo "pros" obnoxiously accusing others of it.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby adkinsadam1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:59 pm

jason.wichman wrote:
Jesse Peterson wrote:There was some stiff competition in there but you got my vote. Sweet photo, dude.

Some of those other shots definitely look way over-Photoshopped/HDR'ed. But I can believe that yours was not. As far as "the grass not matching the sky," that's what happens with washed low angle sunlight on stormy days-- which is why this photo is special. The only thing more obnoxious than over-Photoshopping is photo "pros" obnoxiously accusing others of it.

Jesse, this is why I love forums.....you either simply did not read my whole post or interpreted it the way you wanted to. In any event, let me explain my grass and sky comment (and me being "a photo 'pro' being obnoxious").....with Adams picture this has good depth of field and the clear need for sharpening due to grass and the strong probability it was moving (as you can see in the foreground) as there was a storm which would most likely have some type of wind. With that said, yes it is entirely possible the sun or light source was behind the photographer to their left shoulder causing the immediate foreground to be light. Makes sense and looks natural, as in Adams picture. Where you should or most likely would see shadows would be under the clouds near the back of the image in the depth of field perspective. However, there are none. Is it possible that the sun was able to shine below the clouds between the clouds and ground?.....maybe, but unlikely. Is it possible to take this shot without HDR.....yes, but again unlikely (thus the stitching comment - call it that or HDR [and yes i know the difference]).

Also if you notice, I did say that it is an impressive picture, photoshopped or not. If it was photoshopped, thats fine, Adam did a hell of a job either way. It cracks me up when people think images are not retouched. Pick up any magazine look at the pictures (landscape, portraits, anything). Research Ansel....even he did retouch. Any pro photographer can see things in images that others may not. And yes, sometimes we will see stuff that may not have happened or even see things on how we'd finish the image differently in some cases. Feedback on your images is how you improve your work. I'm rather certain Adam wasn't nearly as offended by this "obnoxious pro" as you were. :roll:

@-Adam, no unfortunately I did not vote for yours, I voted for the one entitled "And the storm passes" - due to color, depth of field and content. Plus thats the one that I was drawn to. Thats the cool thing about photography, you capture your moments and others connect to them. Take your photos to a fine arts gallery and see the reactions there, what some like others don't. Its a matter of getting your images in front of those who connect with them for whatever reason they have. Like I said above, you have some mad skills, so keep shooting and processing images. You will have a successful venture in it that is for sure. If you have a website, I'd love to see it. If you'd like some pointers or advice or even to simply chat about a passion we both share (photography - and great pics), hit me up. I am really interested in seeing how you fair as you do have some very tough competition. Getting into this is a victory in and of itself, be very happy you took 1st last year, and hopefully the same this year! Good Luck!

Well... I have storm chased the last two years. The light at that scenario was a diffused light from the left and behind. There was seriously only sharpening and crop on this one. That is not the case on my other images but this competition wanted it without PS, and I guess I'm the only one who followed those rules. And yes, I think that as the storm passes one was pretty good, but I just don't like the lack of detail in the black hills to the left. My website is web.me.com/adkinsadam1

Comments welcome, and remember to vote for me all!

PreviousNext