Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

EVIL Cameras

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: EVIL Cameras

Postby Bacchus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:17 pm

I don't have one, but I was checking the specs and reviews of the EVIL cameras, and they are impressive. It seemed to me that the Panasonic GF1 is the best, plus Panasonic created the first EVIL cameras. Just don't use them for motion shots such as sport events. They are not fast enough yet, maybe by the time they drop in price they will be perfect.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCGF1/DMCGF1A.HTM
"You go down the mountain on a full heart." gentleman from Tennessee
Rockchalk Jayhawk...Go KU

Postby Alpine Guy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:03 pm

I bought the GF1 w/ 14-45 zoom a few weeks ago. The kit with compact 20mm lens is hard to find, and while the zoom is larger, it's also a more versatile lens. The camera body is slightly smaller than an old Olympus OM-1 (which is about as small as 35mm SLR's ever got) but the lenses are considerably smaller.

Most DSLR shooters have trouble with the lack of an optical viewfinder, but since I converted to digicam's years ago, the 3" bright LCD is perfectly useable (easily the best rear LCD I've ever used).

After using slow digicams for so long, it's amazing that you can turn on the camera and take the first shot in less than a second. And it shoots HD movies as well. Can't wait for a fast 12mm lens option...
Jay

Postby Bacchus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Alpine Guy wrote:I bought the GF1 w/ 14-45 zoom a few weeks ago. The kit with compact 20mm lens is hard to find, and while the zoom is larger, it's also a more versatile lens. The camera body is slightly smaller than an old Olympus OM-1 (which is about as small as 35mm SLR's ever got) but the lenses are considerably smaller.

Most DSLR shooters have trouble with the lack of an optical viewfinder, but since I converted to digicam's years ago, the 3" bright LCD is perfectly useable (easily the best rear LCD I've ever used).

After using slow digicams for so long, it's amazing that you can turn on the camera and take the first shot in less than a second. And it shoots HD movies as well. Can't wait for a fast 12mm lens option...

You know, you can get an attachable view finder if you don't want to use the LCD.

Postby Alpine Guy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Getting the ok to spend $900 was hard enough - if I tried to buy that $200 viewfinder, I might have to do something drastic like cancel my summer Colorado trip! Not gonna happen (until after summer, anyway)
Jay

Postby Bacchus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Alpine Guy wrote:Getting the ok to spend $900 was hard enough - if I tried to buy that $200 viewfinder, I might have to do something drastic like cancel my summer Colorado trip! Not gonna happen (until after summer, anyway)

you're right, it's not worth it.

Postby Bean » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 am

I was looking pretty seriously at a m4/3 camera for a while. It's rare that I want to accept the low-quality of a P&S, but dragging around my 30D can be a pain. I'm looking forward to the day I can ditch the mirror box with a properly-dimensioned sensor.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Motown Mike » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 am

What is happening here (large sensor rangefinder cameras) was bound to occur.

But the cost of the camera body will probably only be the start on an investment... most likely the cost of the camera body will be the start of an inventment in a system of camera, lens, and flash combinations. I would let the market shake out and see where the lenses for these cameras land on the quality / price scale. The adaptor ring concept is probably a waste of time and weight.... look before you leap on this bandwagon... eventually these cameras will probably replace SLR bodies... but do you really want to haul multiple lenses on your climbs?

The small size of the sensor in most of the lower priced digital SLR's mean that the good lenses that fit the camera are over designed by 50%, i.e. the lens is capable of covering a 35mm film frame but the sensor is really much smaller. Only a portion of the capability of the lens is used. While Nikon and Canon make a series of lenses for lower end digital SLR's they are not their top of the line lenses. Simply stated ... there is alot more heavy glass in a good SLR lense than the low end digital SLR camera really needs. I still use my Canon G7 on trips because of the weight difference.

The technology clearly favors a move to rangefinder technology in the future. The flipping mirror in digital slr's is a huge waste of space and requires heavy bulky lenses... it is the old Leica rangefinder vs. SLR story... weight and quality the Leica won hands down.

In a sport where ounces in a backpack mean alot, large sensor digital rangefinder cameras will win out over SLR's. I doubt that getting on the bandwagon early will save anyone any money... I also expect that full frame entry level digital SLR's will be released in the near future at prices that might make them attractive.

Postby PiraatChef » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:17 am

The newer Nikon and Canon models are now made to cover the full snesor, so there is no more 1.5x of your focal length. However, these new bodies could possibly stop someone from going on a trip since they are quite expensive, but toally worth it if you've got the money!

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Yawn. I'll stick with film.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Bean » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Yawn. I'll stick with film.

I bet you think vinyl sounds better than digital too.

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Bean wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:Yawn. I'll stick with film.

I bet you think vinyl sounds better than digital too.

No, but my film will still be reproducible in 50 years. And my camera will still be working. Good luck saying that about digital.

But really, there are good photographers and bad photographers, not good technologies and bad technologies. Does the most modern gear necessarily make you a better/faster/safer hiker? I simply prefer a technology that doesn't have planned obsolescence.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Bean » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:21 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:No, but my film will still be reproducible in 50 years. And my camera will still be working. Good luck saying that about digital.

But really, there are good photographers and bad photographers, not good technologies and bad technologies. Does the most modern gear necessarily make you a better/faster/safer hiker? I simply prefer a technology that doesn't have planned obsolescence.

Backups are simple and relatively inexpensive. I really don't care if my 30D is still working in 50 years. If it's even remotely comparable in performance to the new equipment at the time, well, that would be a sad statement about humanity.

And goretex from the 80s is still waterproof. That doesn't mean it's the best option (or even a good one). I'm taking a trip that would require probably three dozen rolls of film were I going the film route. Instead I'll just take 3-4 batteries and a spare memory card.

Next