Snowmobiling to Lake Como.

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Snowmobiling to Lake Como.

Post by myfeetrock »

Wanted to know how late and low the snow hangs around the road to Como. On a somewhat normal snow year. I want to make the most of early season climbing next year. I know it will vary greatly, but any input would be appreciated.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Snowmobiling to Lake Como.

Post by justiner »

Just thinking out loud, but I bet the window to do that is super small. The San Luis Valley essentially a desert and Lake Como gets considerable sunlight. You may have to have a rig that'll take your snowmobile up the road quite a a bit, and be able to navigate some of the 4wd sections. I could see the creek that the road crosses being a severe PITA when it's running high.

So, you know: hoof it, then skin it, then ski down it. Then drink copiously (and responsibly) to forget the road.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Same thoughts. Not a sledder, but I imagine the limiting factor is your willingness to drive your sled accross extended dry sections of softball sized rocks at some point soon after the creek crossing.
IanG
14ers: 54  2  1 
13ers: 5 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by IanG »

In early May of 2014 we backpacked into como and cramponed/ice axed up the hourglass -IMO the safest way to climb that mountain. The road was totally dry up until maybe a mile from the lake. At lake the snow was anywhere between 2-4 ft deep -winterlike conditions. Between the elevation difference and the western facing road that road probably doesn't hold much snow.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

IanG wrote:In early May of 2014 we backpacked into como and cramponed/ice axed up the hourglass -IMO the safest way to climb that mountain. The road was totally dry up until maybe a mile from the lake. At lake the snow was anywhere between 2-4 ft deep -winterlike conditions. Between the elevation difference and the western facing road that road probably doesn't hold much snow.
I'd second this^. I did Ellingwood this last winter (second weekend in March) and the snow started just above 10,000 feet and was pretty continuous through the short section that is in forest. Once the road hit Jaws 1, it alternated between deep drifts of snow in shaded areas and totally bare/dry in the open/sunny areas. Once you cross the creek, it was almost totally dry until you were up in the trees again approaching Lake Como, which had a good 3-4 feet of snow all over. I don't think taking a snow mobile up there is a good idea at all. Given the alternating back and forth, plus the sections of road that are dry are also some of the worst. (Jaws 2 specifically. I can't see how you'd get a snowmobile by that when it's dry for nearly a half mile or more on either side.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Thanks for the input guys. I've taken my sled about a mile through the dirt to find snow on a nice road. "Jaws" just sounds like it wants to eat my sled.