Maroon bells

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Maroon bells

Post by Scott P »

Why not just camp near Crater Lake? I assume it's still open to camping?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
charro callado
Trip Reports (1)

Post by charro callado »

Scott P wrote:Why not just camp near Crater Lake? I assume it's still open to camping?
I just hiked out past all of those sites while doing the loop; that area definitely appears to be open this year. I say appears only because I really expected the closures to continue into this year due to all of the bear issues from last season. But yeah, people were camping there, and no signage indicated any closures. It saves at least a mile on the approach too! :)
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

herdbull wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:As of 2016 overnight backpackers are no longer allowed to drive to Maroon Lake from 8-5 and must use the bus service.
This is not a true statement. I was there on July 6th at approximately 11am, drove right past the bus stop/terminal all the way to the entrance. I informed him I was a climber/hiker and that I would be in for a couple days. I then paid my $10 and drove to the overnight parking lot. First stopping in the main parking lot to stretch and walk down to the lake.
Hmmm, not sure if they are not strictly enforcing it or if you caught the guard in a generous mood. Here is a USFS pamphlet on getting to the Bells that I was going by - http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 498034.pdf
peter303 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote: If I were driving in from out of state I would not risk my climb on sleeping in my car. Plan to arrive early and hike in and camp or stay on Castle Creek.
Parts of Castle Creek Road have very wealthy owners patrolled by Aspen police and private security.
Should have been more specific, Peter. By up Castle Creek I meant at the Castle/Conundrum trailhead. People take their mansion security very seriously around here.