OPEN! was: Lily/Lindsey Road "Closed" (photos)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lily/Lindsey Road "Closed" (photos)

Post by TallGrass »

Thanks for the update! Any details where the new road will run? Hug the ridge?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

TallGrass wrote:Thanks for the update! Any details where the new road will run? Hug the ridge?
Don't know, but assume once the geologist makes his survey, one will be decided. My guess is below the slide, something like this (in red):

landslide-on-CR-580GS2.jpg
landslide-on-CR-580GS2.jpg (227.9 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

painless4u2 wrote:My guess is below the slide, something like this (in red)
Hmm, that looks like the Diversion Road path. If they do that, sure hope they build up the road bed (deep mud in some parts), add drains for the water that will collect behind it as it runs alongside the creek, and grade the steep drop off where it splits from the old road on the way out. Thought the following line was funny, more like "obliterated."

"The agreement grants easement for the new route, with the old easement being vacated."
http://signaturenewspaper.com/agreement ... trailhead/
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
troyelawson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by troyelawson »

July 10th - Still closed. I was unaware and very disappointed. If you plan, as some people are parking before the ranches, it'll be an 18mi RT (probably camping at the TH is best). Good Luck.
Wandertheworld
14ers: 58  2  3 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Wandertheworld »

Summitted Lindsey two days ago. Parked at the "Road closed" sign before the ranches and hiked in to camp about one mile before the regular Lily Lake TH. There are great primitive camping spots beginning right after the sign for Huerfano/Zapata trails, including a nice Aspen grove just up further on the left. You'll find spots from there all the way to the TH and then more along the trail after that. I opted to set up shop about 0.8 mi after the landslide (and just after the H/Z trails sign) rather than carry a heavy pack any further than necessary. 18 miles is an underestimation since you can't park right at the gate - it was closer to 21.5 RT.

Sidenote: I did come across two trucks parked all the way at the TH. Spoke to one group and they had permission from the ranch owner to drive up the connecting road that goes through his private property just below the landslide. If they do plan on building a new public road there to bypass the slide, it'll be a major pain since it's pretty much a sand trap. The rest of the road was almost completely dry.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

OPEN!!! \:D/ Just got word from a guy who just got it (30 seconds ago) from his USFS supervisor that they just finished the road so the USFS can now access their forest. The road is managed by Huerfano County, not a federal entity. Checking another source now...
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Woah! That is great news considering the great weather for the weekend. DO keep us updated! :-D
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

TallGrass wrote:OPEN!!! \:D/ Just got word from a guy who just got it (30 seconds ago) from his USFS supervisor that they just finished the road so the USFS can now access their forest. The road is managed by Huerfano County, not a federal entity. Checking another source now...
Hurray! I'm glad they reopened it. (if that's true). I was fortunate to have hiked Lindsey before the landslide, but it'd be nice to not have to mountain bike to get to Huerfano Peak, or a repeat of Lindsey for that matter.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lily/Lindsey Road "NOW OPEN" (photos)

Post by TallGrass »

CONFIRMED!!! \:D/ Huerfano County Administrator confirmed it's open, in fact it open day before yesterday (Tuesday). He warned "it's rough ... 4x4 only" so having ridden it multiple times I asked if any worse than before or more of the same, "more of the same" he replied.
alexhenes
14ers: 58  19  5 
13ers: 721 61 5
Trip Reports (72)

Re: OPEN! was: Lily/Lindsey Road "Closed" (photos)

Post by alexhenes »

wow!!! and hilarious... we road our bikes up there a week ago and camped
bobalob
Trip Reports (0)

Re: OPEN! was: Lily/Lindsey Road "Closed" (photos)

Post by bobalob »

Awesome! I did Lindsey last fall in a long day push from the closure and thought that it'd be a glorious hike from the Lily Lake TH. Glad to hear it's open!
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Lily/Lindsey Road "NOW OPEN" (photos)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

TallGrass wrote:CONFIRMED!!! \:D/ Huerfano County Administrator confirmed it's open, in fact it open day before yesterday (Tuesday). He warned "it's rough ... 4x4 only" so having ridden it multiple times I asked if any worse than before or more of the same, "more of the same" he replied.
So, doable by a Subaru? Website mentions it as rough 2WD :-D