Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

East Portal, IPW, and Middle St Vrain

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

East Portal, IPW, and Middle St Vrain

Postby Alpine » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 am

Anyone have current info on these trailheads, along with any general trail condition reports?

East Portal
4th of July
Brainard
Middle St Vrain

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I saw anything here from over last weekend. I may have a chance to get out on Saturday.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Re: East Portal, IPW, and Middle St Vrain

Postby IronLionZion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am

went up to 4th of july last Sunday, there were a few icey patches but the road was mostly dry. They probably got a few inches Tuesday night but I would think the road is still easily drivable with any decent clearance/tires.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:20 am

Hiked a tad of the east portal trail yesterday to climb the ice at Moffatt Tunnel. Road was passable, trail had 3-6 inches of snow on it, but we only went in 1/4 mile.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby ak47 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Last week I climbed mt audobon and st vrain mtn. The brainard lake road is closed but bikeable to the trailhead. Trail had a couple inches of snow on top of a firm base as this trail gets alot of traffic. Trail was in great shape and deep snow drifts are easily avoided. Walking the brainard road makes for a long day to reach any of the peaks but is doable. The rock creek trail to st vrain mtn has a little less snow below treeline and has been getting foot traffic so it's very hikeable without traction. Above treeline snow depths vary quite a bit but you can stick to shallower areas for easier hiking.