Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Road up Castle Peak

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

The Road up Castle Peak

Postby mountaindude » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am

Wanting to drive up tonight (early morning) to do Castle/Conundrum combo. Would prefer to start at 11,000 feet. Anyone been up the road in the last couple of days? If so how deep is the snow? Can a Honda CRV w/some traction make it?

Re: The Road up Castle Peak

Postby denvermikey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Regardless of snow, I don't advise taking your CRV past the creek crossing. Have done this twice with more serious 4wd SUVs and can't imagine the CRV having enough clearance to safely make it through the creek.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:08 pm

denvermikey wrote:Regardless of snow, I don't advise taking your CRV past the creek crossing. Have done this twice with more serious 4wd SUVs and can't imagine the CRV having enough clearance to safely make it through the creek.

I'll second that
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby mountaindude » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Appreciate the heads up on the creek. Wasn't aware it was a challenge.

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Here is a pic of the creek crossing on 9/21

I'll echo the above posters, you might be able to make it across the creek ok, but the road after is pretty crappy. Not as bad as South Colony Road, but not all that far behind it.
Attachments
IMG_1582 (Small).JPG
IMG_1582 (Small).JPG (185.07 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Postby Doctor No » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 pm

When I climbed C&C, I saw my exact make and model of Ford Ranger at the top of the road.

Part of me was envious (I had parked just below the creek crossing because it was too dark to effectively see what I was doing), but I also like my truck a lot.

The road from there is a pleasant walk - not even much of a lungburner - easy to zone out and look at the waterfalls.

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 pm

I made it to the intersection of Castle Creek and Pearl Pass a few years ago in a stock Izuzu Rodeo. Maybe I could have made it beyond that point, but I didn't want to risk it. I was following someone with more experience. I hopped out 2 or 3 times to check out possible obstacles, including the creek. I had enough clearance up to the point of the intersection. I ended up parking in a wide spot in the switchback between the waterfall just to the left of the road and the Pearl Pass intersection. There are a few trailhead reports on here that are from this year too under "Trailheads."
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby mountaindude » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:04 pm

See what you mean about the creek from the pic. Doesn't look all that bad in the pic but if it was a couple inches higher could be pretty iffy for my CRV

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Here's a pic of the Castle Creek Crossing in early June of this year. Even with the Jeep Rubicon we could not make it across... One thing you have to keep in mind during the early summer - the stream flow later in the day will be significantly higher than early morning, due to the snow melt. I wouldn't think it would be bad if you hit it in late summer or early fall. But honestly walking that road is not all that bad. Save your car and walk if you're unsure.
Attachments
CastleCreek.jpg
CastleCreek.jpg (285.76 KiB) Viewed 266 times
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby IronLionZion » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm

I was on that road 3 weeks ago right after the first snow of the season. There was a few inches in the trees and things were a bit slick. I saw a Mercedes GWagon and a Jeep Rubicon that looked like they got to the top. I stopped in my Jeep Cherokee where the road turns kinda shelfy, I have new wrangler duratrac tires which are some of the best but I didn't want to risk it. I would not bring a CRV past the pearl pass turn off if you can make it that far.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Postby tlongpine » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:49 pm

If the conditions are right (and I doubt they are this time of year) this approach is ideal for a mountain bike.

Drive as high as you can (generally, either to the creek or the vicinity of the the waterfalls and switchbacks) and ditch the truck, then pedal to the top at Montezuma Basin and lock the bike, then hike the rest of the way to the summit(s).

On foot, this approach spends a significant amount of time on 4WD road so a bike speeds up the ascent, and really adds some flavor to the descent.

Plus, if you're feeling especially adventurous you can pedal up Pearl Pass Road and relive a little bit of Mountain Bike history: http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=12
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby mountaindude » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the additional info Lion. How was the creek 3 weeks ago?

Next