Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

W Willow Creek TH

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

W Willow Creek TH

Postby ThuChad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:31 am

Just trying to get a little more info on this TH north of Creede. After looking at the descriptions to the TH I think I've pinpointed the location on google maps. Can anyone confirm this or pinpoint the location if I'm wrong. Thanks!

http://goo.gl/maps/r7mzt
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Re: W Willow Creek TH

Postby Jay521 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 am

I'm pretty sure that's it. You can also see the trail heading N from that spot. I also seem to recall a small parking area (maybe 3 vehicles) on the left side of the road also, but it's been a couple years and I could be wrong about that.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby moff » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:06 am

I agree, that looks like it. I was there a few weeks ago, and there were a couple of places I got confused: We drove to the mine entrance that was gated, but once we backtracked probably less than a quarter mile we found the correct road (it was pretty narrow and dense so we figured that wasn't it the first time we passed it). When you get to the place i think you've marked, you'll see the road contiues up really steep to the left, and you won't need to got there, and like Jay said, there's enough space for parking.

Postby Stevo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 am

Yep, that's it. As Jay said, there is enough room for a few cars there and even some camping. If you continue left up the steep road that Moff mentions, you'll end up in the Rat Creek Drainage (a rough road that also tackes you back to Creede).

The area of confusion driving up there is at the mine previously mentioned. When you reach the clearing with the mine, there is a small road to the left that looks pretty nasty but it really isn't.

Also, just an FYI- The trail is well defined at the start but not well marked as the trail to San Luis. After approx 1/2 mile, the trail splits to the left and a faint, almost 4WD road continues straight up the ridge. We went straight up the 4WD to the ridge. The trail to the left eventually wraps around and rejoins on the other side of the ridge. PM me if you'd like the GPX file.

Have fun and keep your eyes out for the many moose that are in the area!

Postby blazintoes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 am

Are you trying to get to the Colorado Trail or San Luis Peak from here?

Postby ThuChad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks everyone. I'll be going for San Luis.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby blazintoes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 am

Once past the mine and making your way up the 4x4 road, there is one creek crossing with a descending 'S' chicane turn that may get a little nuts depending on how deep the creek is. It's about 0.7th of a mile from the TH here 37.948267, -106.964237.
Otherwise the road to get there is quite nice.

Once on foot you will head North then Northeast along the old jeep road. You will cross the creek twice. The jeep road steepens as you continue Northeast. Stay on the steep jeep road at the fork.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:13 pm

The TH is marked on this GPS screen capture:

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby randalmartin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Sounds like you have the information you need but thought I would post a link to the TR I put up a few years ago from that TH with directions on getting there. Great route.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8279&parmuser=randalmartin&cpgm=tripuser