Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Road Open?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Mt. Evans Road Open?

Postby SikYou » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:05 pm

I know the road is closed at summit lake but CDOT says that it closes at the fee station in early October. How early? Anyone know if I can get to summit lake in the morning? I've got plans to hike the tour de abyss from summit lake in a few hours. Thanks?
Most people just call me Brian.

Re: Mt. Evans Road Open?

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Road will close tomorrow. Likely at 6am. All employees for Evans are furloughed, including a good friend of mine.

Postby SikYou » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 pm

I just found a memo from CDOT saying 8am. If I'm already parked at summit lake before it closes I should be good right?
Most people just call me Brian.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Either way, gate will be closed and locked. Your vehicle will be stuck on the wrong side of a locked gate. Too risky for my taste!

Postby RyGuy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Probably not worth it. Just park at Guanella Pass and climb Evans that way. Far more scenic anyway.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Bean » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:25 am

bergsteigen wrote:Road will close tomorrow. Likely at 6am. All employees for Evans are furloughed, including a good friend of mine.

What does USFS employees being furloughed have to do with the status of a Colorado state highway?

It's appropriate that it's closing today though, what with the snowstorm coming and all.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Nelson623 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:08 am

The state schedules it to close at/around September's end, anyhow; can be earlier if the weather dictates it.

Postby peter303 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:19 am

The road to Summit Lake finally closed for the Sept 27 snow. But it wes scheduled to close Sept 30 anyways, the Monday after the last Sunday in September.

Postby madbuck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:42 am

Closed....

...to motorized traffic.
...to motorized traffic.
...to motorized traffic.