Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 am

bonehead wrote:"Tea Baggers" is such a disgusting term.
If you can't debate, then demonize.
And please stop lying to me.

Sorry, I should have put it in the other thread. I didn't realize tea bagger was so derogatory. I know they value political correctness! That was admittedly an opinionated post. But lies, no. And I did rip on both sides.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby djkest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:54 am

MountainHiker wrote:

Sorry, I should have put it in the other thread. I didn't realize tea bagger was so derogatory. I know they value political correctness! That was admittedly an opinionated post. But lies, no. And I did rip on both sides.

Calling someone a tea bagger is associating them with tea-bagging, don't tell me you didn't know that. If you don't know what tea-bagging is, look it up on Urban Dictionary. It's tasteless (no pun intended) to use that word. And by "ripping on both sides" you mean attacked republicans and admonished democrats for occasionally caving in the past?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby sheller » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 am

djkest wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:

Calling someone a tea bagger is associating them with tea-bagging, don't tell me you didn't know that. If you don't know what tea-bagging is, look it up on Urban Dictionary. It's tasteless (no pun intended) to use that word. And by "ripping on both sides" you mean attacked republicans and admonished democrats for occasionally caving in the past?

+1

Postby saxlover » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:21 am

Obamacare is a pejorative term, language is the ultimate weapon.
Andrew Tobin

Postby mountainrev » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 am

saxlover wrote:Obamacare is a pejorative term, language is the ultimate weapon.

It's pejorative only if you disagree with Obama and the ACA. Obama himself embraces and uses it, as referenced in this quote from the August 9 edition of the USA Today:

President Obama is now happy to call it "Obamacare."

Once a term of derision used mostly by Republicans who have vowed to repeal the new health care law, Obama deployed it in both of his Colorado appearances on Wednesday.

"The Affordable Care Act -- also known as Obamacare," Obama said to applause from backers at the University of Denver.

"I actually like the name," he added. "Because I do care -- that's why we fought so hard to make it happen."

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 am

nyker wrote:Such a shame, right around near peak foliage time. The current Administration in DC is an embarrassment to this country and needs to be replaced.

Even the website is down:

http://www.usda.gov/fundinglapse.htm?contentidonly=true&contentid=shutdown_procedures.html

Fortunately Rob, there was wonderful foliage all over SW Colorado yesterday - near Sapinero, Dallas Divide, between Telluride and Ophir and between Rico and Dolores - aspen and scrub oak. Even in fading light AZ San Francisco Peaks showed brilliance on the northern slopes - photo proof later (when I get the camera unloaded).
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 am

djkest wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:

I’m afraid I hadn’t heard meaning #2 before:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teabagger
Thanks for the edification! There’s so much gross slang to keep track of.
Although meaning #1 could be associated with the Boston Tea Party without any derogatory intent.

I could come up with a lot more to rip on the Democrats about by getting into other issues. I actually agree with the Tea Party on some issues. This isn’t one of them. On this issue we obviously aren’t going to agree.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby saxlover » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:35 am

mountainrev wrote:
saxlover wrote:Obamacare is a pejorative term, language is the ultimate weapon.

It's pejorative only if you disagree with Obama and the ACA. Obama himself embraces and uses it, as referenced in this quote from the August 9 edition of the USA Today:

President Obama is now happy to call it "Obamacare."

Once a term of derision used mostly by Republicans who have vowed to repeal the new health care law, Obama deployed it in both of his Colorado appearances on Wednesday.

"The Affordable Care Act -- also known as Obamacare," Obama said to applause from backers at the University of Denver.

"I actually like the name," he added. "Because I do care -- that's why we fought so hard to make it happen."

oh, trust me, ive been aware. too nice to a fault.
Andrew Tobin

Postby BenfromtheEast » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 am

rocky wrote:Don't know if you'd be able to park along the road just before the USFS "Entry / Gate" to start your hike in. From that point to Maroon Lake is 4.6 miles. Add a bit of hiking around the Lake and you're looking at a 10 mile round-trip hike.

Sorry to rerail this impending disaster...can anyone comment on possible parking options? Feel free to add any real basic tips for someone who's never been to Aspen.

Postby Tony1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

I was just about to ask the same thing. Is one allowed to park by the gate? A ride up the road sounds like a blast.

Postby madbuck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 am

BenfromtheEast wrote:
rocky wrote:Don't know if you'd be able to park along the road just before the USFS "Entry / Gate" to start your hike in. From that point to Maroon Lake is 4.6 miles. Add a bit of hiking around the Lake and you're looking at a 10 mile round-trip hike.

Sorry to rerail this impending disaster...can anyone comment on possible parking options? Feel free to add any real basic tips for someone who's never been to Aspen.

I had kind of been looking at the same thing.
Classically, the cycling route begins by parking at the High School (with parking in or near the lot) at the bottom of Maroon Crk Rd, about 9 miles below the end of the road. So that should be the "worst case," unless looking for a nice bike ride.
It looks like, from google maps (look at "Maroon Creek Rd, Aspen, CO" which gets close to the USFS gate) that there is a wider gravel shoulder on the east side of the road just below the USFS gate. I don't know of any parking restrictions on the road, and as someone else said, that would cut the distance in half. I wonder if things will change if the shoulder gets crowded with other people trying to do the same thing; or if most people won't even think about trying.

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:39 am

I think it's 6 miles from the gate. That was my guess last time I started there. Limited parking along road by gate. Ben, if you're in Aspen hanging out around town hit me up. I'm here until Sunday. Planning to bike the road later today or after the snow melts off, probably Sunday.

PreviousNext