Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 am

madbuck wrote:Definitely understand the bathroom issue...

I understand issues of accessibility for all and try not to be too elitist -- I just helped fill-in/repair a flooded handicapped-accessible trail at a local natural area a couple weeks ago -- but if the road didn't exist, and instead it were a 12M-RT hike or ride, it would be one of the most rewarding and scenic (non-summit) hikes in the state.
At this peak time of year, if I lived close to it, I would think a quiet ride or walk/jog would be particularly exquisite.

Lemons->lemonade.

+1, should be a fantastic short road ride without any cars.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby nyker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:43 am

Such a shame, right around near peak foliage time. The current Administration in DC is an embarrassment to this country and needs to be replaced.

Even the website is down:

http://www.usda.gov/fundinglapse.htm?contentidonly=true&contentid=shutdown_procedures.html

Postby Coxie2210 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:44 pm

nyker wrote:Such a shame, right around near peak foliage time. The current Administration in DC is an embarrassment to this country and needs to be replaced.

http://www.usda.gov/fundinglapse.htm?contentidonly=true&contentid=shutdown_procedures.html

Not a big one to argue politics but it is not the administration to blame. Stubborn house representatives that don't like the rules so they take their ball and go home are to blame. Wish I could act that way when breaking laws I don't prefer, like speed limits and sumitting Bross :-D !

Postby edhaman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Actually the "administration" (referring to the White House) IS to blame for the details. The National Park Service and the National Forest Service are part of the Executive branch, so it IS the Obama administration that controls which specific services are cut.

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 pm

edhaman wrote:Actually the "administration" (referring to the White House) IS to blame for the details. The National Park Service and the National Forest Service are part of the Executive branch, so it IS the Obama administration that controls which specific services are cut.

You've not read about the 143 year old statute that controls all this. Need more research. Over 70% of intelligence personal have been sent home. Park personnel can hardly be considered essential by comparison.

Postby Coxie2210 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:11 am

edhaman wrote:Actually the "administration" (referring to the White House) IS to blame for the details. The National Park Service and the National Forest Service are part of the Executive branch, so it IS the Obama administration that controls which specific services are cut.

Controls which services? Yes, the one who actually cast the vote making it happen because they do not have to worry about health insurance for their own children and families? No!

Postby MonGoose » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:12 am

Coxie2210 wrote:
nyker wrote:Such a shame, right around near peak foliage time. The current Administration in DC is an embarrassment to this country and needs to be replaced.

Not a big one to argue politics but it is not the administration to blame. Stubborn house representatives that don't like the rules so they take their ball and go home are to blame. Wish I could act that way when breaking laws I don't prefer, like speed limits and sumitting Bross :-D !

Agree. Congress should be able to pass a budget for the entire government without having to repeal a law of the minority parties choosing in exchange for keeping the country running.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:51 am

MonGoose wrote:
Coxie2210 wrote:

Agree. Congress should be able to pass a budget for the entire government without having to repeal a law of the minority parties choosing in exchange for keeping the country running.

If it were just a minority in opposition the budget would have already passed :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby JE242 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 am

I'm glad facilities are closed. FS restrooms need a break from people sh*tting on the walls/floors/seat.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 am

What if the tables were reversed? What if we had a Republican president and senate, and a Democrat house? What if the Democrats insisted on Australian style gun control as their condition for passing a budget? What if their pseudo compromise was we'll only take most of the guns, not all? Then the conservative talk would be howling instead of cheering.

If congress would do its job, we would have a FY14 budget already in place. But the tea baggers think the Democrats have to do all the compromising. A Republican is not allowed to compromise. Unfortunately the Democrats didn't grow a set until most of the way through Obama's first term. The Republicans by then had learned they could routinely play chicken and the Democrats would always swerve. When the Democrats finally grew a set and held firm we started having these big showdowns.

I'm not a fan of either party. We seem to have a choice between evil and incompetence. Its the Republican's fault for throwing in a poison pill they knew the Democrats wouldn't swallow. Its the Democrats fault for not standing up to their bulls**t earlier.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby ajkagy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 am

MountainHiker wrote:What if the tables were reversed? What if we had a Republican president and senate, and a Democrat house? What if the Democrats insisted on Australian style gun control as their condition for passing a budget? What if their pseudo compromise was we'll only take most of the guns, not all? Then the conservative talk would be howling instead of cheering.

If congress would do its job, we would have a FY14 budget already in place. But the tea baggers think the Democrats have to do all the compromising. A Republican is not allowed to compromise. Unfortunately the Democrats didn't grow a set until most of the way through Obama's first term. The Republicans by then had learned they could routinely play chicken and the Democrats would always swerve. When the Democrats finally grew a set and held firm we started having these big showdowns.

I'm not a fan of either party. We seem to have a choice between evil and incompetence. Its the Republican's fault for throwing in a poison pill they knew the Democrats wouldn't swallow. Its the Democrats fault for not standing up to their bulls**t earlier.

opinions are like assholes, everybody has one...lets keep the political asshatery in off route or thread will be locked promptly :)

Postby bonehead » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 am

"Tea Baggers" is such a disgusting term.
If you can't debate, then demonize.
And please stop lying to me.

PreviousNext