Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Postby rocky » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:28 pm

rocky
south fork, colorado

Re: Road to Maroon Lake closed due to Federal Shutdown.

Postby psycholoco » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:53 pm

"Pedestrians and bicycles can still use the road."

Postby Ress_PA » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Rocky, thanks for posting the bad news, I knew it wouldn't be long after the shutdown until we saw some of this. I was planning on taking my wife up to Maroon Lake this weekend to see the sights and I'm not sure how excited she will be to hike out and back on the road.. Looks like about 12 miles RT?

These jokers in D.C. need to get their acts together before they ruin more of our time that could be spent in the National Parks or Forests!

Postby kushrocks » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 pm

:wft: :wft: :wft:

Ok, I could have handled this until now but closing the road to the Bells is going too far.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby rocky » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Don't know if you'd be able to park along the road just before the USFS "Entry / Gate" to start your hike in. From that point to Maroon Lake is 4.6 miles. Add a bit of hiking around the Lake and you're looking at a 10 mile round-trip hike.
rocky
south fork, colorado

Postby TallGrass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Hope they leave at least one restroom open like at some of the lower parking lots so it doesn't become CG-riffic up there. :oops:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Rcizzle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Public land apparently doesn't actually belong to the public.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Postby tmahon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 am

rocky wrote:Don't know if you'd be able to park along the road just before the USFS "Entry / Gate" to start your hike in. From that point to Maroon Lake is 4.6 miles. Add a bit of hiking around the Lake and you're looking at a 10 mile round-trip hike.

The gate is a bit below the entrance station, a short way past T Lazy 7. You can hike or ride the road without issue.

Postby pseudoghost » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 am

Rcizzle wrote:Public land apparently doesn't actually belong to the public.

Can you imagine the kind of damage that the hordes would do at Maroon Bells without toilets? I kind of understand this one. The land is still open, but you just can't use the amenities... It's always been that way: if you don't want to pay then walk.

Postby saxlover » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:06 am

guess we'll be walking/riding up on saturday morning. empty road will make for a very pretty walk

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/8363787-113/maroon-bells-area-creek
Andrew Tobin

Postby Hypersnow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:01 am

pseudoghost wrote:Can you imagine the kind of damage that the hordes would do at Maroon Bells without toilets? I kind of understand this one. The land is still open, but you just can't use the amenities... It's always been that way: if you don't want to pay then walk.

Thanks for recognizing this psuedoghost. I work at the Bells; and spent an unpaid day closing the facilities yesterday. If the road remained open, the entire scenic area would have turned into a giant toilet. Everything is locked per direction. Our hosts will be staying there through Friday; to help with any straggling cars from backcountry users. If you are willing to ride a bike or walk the road, there will be significantly less people in this extremely high use area.

During my furlough though, I am going nowhere close to the Bells...

Postby madbuck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 am

Definitely understand the bathroom issue...

I understand issues of accessibility for all and try not to be too elitist -- I just helped fill-in/repair a flooded handicapped-accessible trail at a local natural area a couple weeks ago -- but if the road didn't exist, and instead it were a 12M-RT hike or ride, it would be one of the most rewarding and scenic (non-summit) hikes in the state.
At this peak time of year, if I lived close to it, I would think a quiet ride or walk/jog would be particularly exquisite.

Lemons->lemonade.

Next