Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HWY 14 Cameron Pass?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

HWY 14 Cameron Pass?

Postby Alpine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am

My understanding is that this is now open again, but I am wondering about overall road surface and general travel conditions - I will be headed towards Craig later next week.

Usually we go over Cameron Pass rather than going down to 1-70. (I live in Longmont so it is pretty close time-wise to go either way.) Trying to decide if this time we should plan on I-70, or if there are any negatives to HWY 14 right now. I thought I heard that parts of it are dirt right now - not sure where I heard that.

Obviously next week's weather conditions will help dictate, but assuming good weather conditions?
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Re: HWY 14 Cameron Pass?

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 am

The road was in great shape up to Greyrock TH yesterday. Looked like one section had been washed out but was already repaired with asphalt. I was actually surprised at how little damage we saw.

The story could be quite different further up near the narrows but judging by the amount of traffic we saw in the canyon yesterday, I'd imagine things are probably pretty doable.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby wonderwi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 pm

The road is in great shape. There are two locations where culverts are being replaced. In these locations, the road is down to one lane. They have installed temporary lights to control the flow of traffic. The one-lane diversions are only a few hundred yards long. Other than these two locations, the road is in great shape. I expect the colors to be at or close to peak this weekend above the fish hatchery.
There are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few that will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping. Author Unknown

Postby Greenhouseguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 pm

I drove it today. Long sections of new pavement, smooth as glass. Only one short section of one-lane traffic with a temporary light or flag man. Stove Prairie is still closed, and a couple of the trails in the gulches were closed due to flood damage.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston