Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ophir Pass

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Ophir Pass

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Looking for beta on road conditions - especially the west side of the Pass. Expecting passage on Wednesday. Am aware there has been a fair amount of recent snow in this part of the San Juans - thanks.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Re: Ophir Pass

Postby SharonH » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm

I drove from Ouray to Telluride and up to Lizard head Pass today via highways 62 and 145. I did not see any closure signs for Ophir. However, there was quite a bit of snow above 12,000 feet when I was climbing Handies yesterday and I turned around on Cinnamon Pass due to poor conditions (IMO) i.e. snow and melting snow in the road.

Postby RyGuy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 am

Good site to check before traveling in the San Juans: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/conditions/?cid=FSBDEV3_002300

Additionally, San Juan Ron also tends to be very aware of the conditions there. May be worth shooting him a PM.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for the reference ACERyGuy007 and update SharonH. SJ Ron provides unique and valuable local input in many threads throughout the Forum. Looking forward to beautiful fall colors tomorrow.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.