Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need Reassurance - Cronin solo from Baldwin or Little Browns

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Need Reassurance - Cronin solo from Baldwin or Little Br

Postby LuLuLuv » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Valerie shoot me a message! I would love to go too if available!

Postby Wildernessjane » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm always looking for people to climb 13ers with. I don't think we've met, but I have gotten out with Natalie and I would love to join you as well!

Postby highcountryhiker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Did the Cronin/White combo the second weekend in September last year from Baldwin Gulch and did not see any evidence of bear activity in the area. Saw only a few other people camped near the first stream crossing, and saw very few people or vehicles along the road on summit day. Most appeared to be headed either to or from Mount Antero. Once away from the road, encountered no one else on either Cronin or White. I would imagine that Little Browns could be a very lonely place this time of year unless there are hunters in the area.

It should be noted that there are two summits on Mount White that are approximately 500 feet apart. The southwest summit is annotated on the Mount Antero quad with an elevation of 13,667 feet, which is the accepted elevation for the peak. Cairns have been built on both summits, which indicates that there may be some confusion as to which summit is higher. While very close in height, Gerry Roach has determined that the southwest summit is indeed higher than the northeast summit.

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm

LuLuLuv and WildernessJane, PM sent. :)
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby Johnson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Boggy B wrote:In the past 3 years I've spent a considerable amount of time hiking solo in remote areas of Colorado, in the dark (and of course during daylight hours too), at all times of the year. Yet I've only seen bears in populated areas. Twice near houses in Ridgway (from the car), and once near the Mt Sanitas trail in Boulder (in person).

Still, when I'm hiking by myself in the dark and think about it, I start clicking my trekking poles together at intervals. Seems like a pretty unnatural noise.

Speaking of "unnatural noise", Would it work to play some Miley Cyrus on your Iphone at a loud volume level? You could just hook it to your sternum strap....
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Doug Shaw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Johnson wrote:Speaking of "unnatural noise", Would it work to play some Miley Cyrus on your Iphone at a loud volume level?

<bear>
"You know, normally I'd run away, but just for that you're gettin' mauled."
</bear>

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:36 am

Doug Shaw wrote:
Johnson wrote:Speaking of "unnatural noise", Would it work to play some Miley Cyrus on your Iphone at a loud volume level?

<bear>
"You know, normally I'd run away, but just for that you're gettin' mauled."
</bear>

Yes...I'd rather not antagonize the bears or any hunters in the area.... 8-[
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Previous