Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Primitive Car Camping near Grand Lake ??

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Primitive Car Camping near Grand Lake ??

Postby YonderMountain » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 am

I am looking for a free primitive car camping site near Grand Lake? Would prefer not to pay for a campsite. Thank you for your suggestions :-D

Re: Primitive Car Camping near Grand Lake ??

Postby lodgling » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 am

How near GL and what kind of car?

Postby YonderMountain » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Within 10-15 miles of GL and a Honda Civic. Thanks!

Postby lodgling » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:39 pm

It has been awhile [insert disclaimer], but I recall there are some good car camping pullouts on the southern portion of North Supply. Head south out of town on 34 to Hwy 4 (Stillwater Pass Rd), after a couple of miles Hwy 4 heads left and 455 heads right. 455 is also known as N Supply. After a mile or two or three, start looking for pullouts. The roads are dirt, but should be fine in a Civic. If you reach where N Supply turns into an obvious 4x4 road, you have gone way too far. Turn around and look more closely. Should be around or a little over 10 miles from town. If you can secure a capable 4x4, the north end of N Supply also has spots that are only a few miles from town and close to the RMNP entrance. But that end of the road would crush your Civic within the first 10-20 yds.

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:02 pm

I researched free camping before a recent trip to Grand Lake and I didn't find much. The above mentioned Stillwater Pass Rd was about all I found, save for some national forest access areas further to the south, near Fraser and Granby. There are some really nice campsites at the Monarch Lake Campground, a few even have trees that have survived the beetle apocalypse, although are pricey at $19/night.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby YonderMountain » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Awesome information!! thank you! will help out tremendously.

Postby herdbull » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:36 am

One of the most scenic, free, and easily accessible camping spots there is...... just off of HWY 4. If you can grab this spot I highly recommend it :-D
Attachments
Co July 2012_007 small.jpg
Co July 2012_007 small.jpg (312.02 KiB) Viewed 137 times