Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The road to Buckingham Campground (4th of July Campground)

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

The road to Buckingham Campground (4th of July Campground)

Postby goingup » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 am

Hello all....I am looking for some information on the road to Arapahoe Pass Trail in IPW. The alleged dirt one that leads to Buckingham campground (4th of July campground). Is it passable in a Honda Civic??? Could we get up to that campground? We are looking to do the South Arapaho to North Arapaho traverse on Monday and I would like to do the driving. As well, does this campground typically fill up really quickly? Especially on labor day? Thank you in advance!!! :-D
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Re: The road to Buckingham Campground (4th of July Campgroun

Postby beerhiker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 pm

yes your civic will make it, a few rough spots but nothing really bad. Yes this campground fills up very quickly but if you are staying Monday night you might get a spot, there is no dispersed camping along the road as its mostly private property. Its so busy up there they run a shuttle from Ned H.S. to Hessie trailhead on weekends, parking can be tough.

Postby cougar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:05 pm

rough but not too bad, just tons of traffic as mentioned, get there before 7am (maybe even 6 this weekend) if you're not camping. I saw a brand new Mercedes sedan coming up that road last month

Postby goingup » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks guys. We wanna do it on Monday (early as mentioned). My bf lives in Boulder so it isn't a far drive just more concerned with the parking. Our other option was Longs Peak which I opted out of because I think too many people can make a mountain extra dangerous. We will get it on a weekday perhaps next Friday. Anyway thank you, we will probably just stay in Boulder and drive up by six a.m.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......