Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Restaurants near 14ers

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Favorite Restaurants near 14ers

Postby sanchomurphy1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 pm

I was planning on heading to Salida and Gunnison this weekend and I was looking for good places to eat dinner at. I thought we could maybe make a list of towns in Colorado and your favorite restaurants to hit after doing a 14er. I'll kick it off.

Idaho Springs - Tommyknockers: Man-sized meals for a reasonable price. Beer is good but a little pricey.
Leadville - Manuellita's Restaurant: No frills Mexican food. Large portions and low prices.
Aspen - Big Wrap: One of the cheapest and best lunch places in Aspen. The thanksgiving turkey wrap is amazing!
Estes Park - The Rock Inn: Best beer, food, and music in town. Plus its where I used to go with my fellow NPS employees.
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow." -James Dean

Re: Favorite Restaurants near 14ers

Postby LivingOnTheEdge » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm sure these will be widely disputed, but I've always enjoyed Boathouse Cantina and Amicas in Salida. I'm pretty sure any food seems great after a long hike, but I always seem to end up at one of those. If you are doing a mountain in the mid to northern Sawatch, Eddyline Brewery is my go-to in Buena Vista!

Postby Tony1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:14 am

Gotta love Manuellita's! :-D I have a few to add:

Leadville: The Silver Dollar
Buena Vista: Can't go wrong with K's!
Aspen: Hickory House! Mmmmm.
Alamosa: SLV Brewing Company
Idaho Springs: BeauJo's (someone's gotta mention it)
Lake City: Poker Alice (those calzones)
Creede: Kip's Grill

And one for a bigger city:

Pueblo: Adolfo's! Perfect stop for those in Denver or the Springs after hitting the southern Sangres. Little hole-in-the-wall-kind-of-fast-food-but-authentic Mexican place with great food. After introducing ameristrat (Teddy) and OrthoMatt (Matt) to it, they couldn't stop thinking about it the next time we were in the area.

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 am

After the Chicago Basin group, The Ore House in Durango is awesome for steak. You can walk there from the train depot.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:30 am

Buena Vista: I'm gonna add Pizza Works to the Buena Vista list. I can murder their pizza every weekend, if I had the chance. It's always a hard choice between them and Eddyline Brewery.

Telluride: we just had a great time at Floradora Saloon for Sunday brunch this past weekend. Big bloody mary's/mimosas and a great menu

Postby Tornadoman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:27 am

Here are a couple that I like.

Salida- Amicas is always good if you are in the mood for pizza.
Buena Vista- I like K's for a burger after a climb.
Idaho Springs- Beau Jo's is good.. I will be trying Tommyknockers this weekend, so I am glad to see them mentioned!

Postby dmccool » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:31 am

South Park Saloon in Alma

Postby djkest » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 am

Poker Alice in Lake City
Colorado Boy Brewing Co. in Montrose
Eddyline in BV (been to K's, can't stand to wait so long for my food anymore)
High Mountain Pies in Leadville
Breckenridge Brewing Co. in Breckenridge
Taster's Great Pizza in Aspen
Donut Mill in Woodland Park (to/from Breck, BV, etc)

Sadly I think that's about all I know. A lot of times we hit Subway in the mountains because it's quick and cheap.

ETA: Edited to add stuff I thought of later.
Last edited by djkest on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby powhound » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 am

Breck - Empire Burger. Great burgers and hand cut fries! Voted best burgers in town (by the locals) many times. Very reasonable prices (for a ski town anyway). Extensive selection of exotic sauces to dip your fries. My favorite is the mango chutney. $2 PBRs if you catch happy hour. Inside is kind of noisy, so sit outside on the deck. Nice view and they have no problem with you dining with your pooch.

Postby joelsteidl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 am

Pretty much anything after...right?

It does get much better than High Mountain Pies in Leadville.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/high-mountain-pies-leadville

Postby dannerkm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 am

Leadville, Salida and BV - Quincy's steakhouse

Postby Presto » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 am

Discussed in detail .. in fact, Bill "re-birthed the thread" ... entitled (appropriately, I might add) "Post Hike Eats"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28054&hilit=restaurants
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Next