Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Como Lake Road TH

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Ooooh, that's a relatively new sign, since the summer of 2011. I'm between hikes right now but I can't wait to put my Photoshop skillz to use on that... :twisted:
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Here's a quick attempt; couldn't resist
Attachments
blancasign2.jpg
blancasign2.jpg (243.15 KiB) Viewed 750 times
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

User avatar
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 pm
Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:02 pm

What really needs to happen is we get CFI and the NFS to install nice, smooth, sustainable rock ramps around all those Jaws obstructions so every Subaru and Sante Fe and such can easily access Como Lake.

Oh, nevermind....
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby onebyone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 pm

painless4u2 wrote:What really needs to happen is we get CFI and the NFS to install nice, smooth, sustainable rock ramps around all those Jaws obstructions so every Subaru and Sante Fe and such can easily access Como Lake.

Oh, nevermind....



Just drove my Toyota Prius over Jaws 1/2, 1 and 2 no problem. Parked and set up my tent like 10 ft from the lake. Cake walk.

User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:41 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN and Palisade, CO

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby Roald » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 pm

onebyone wrote:
painless4u2 wrote:What really needs to happen is we get CFI and the NFS to install nice, smooth, sustainable rock ramps around all those Jaws obstructions so every Subaru and Sante Fe and such can easily access Como Lake.

Oh, nevermind....



Just drove my Toyota Prius over Jaws 1/2, 1 and 2 no problem. Parked and set up my tent like 10 ft from the lake. Cake walk.



LOL. That would be awesome to get all the way to lake while getting 45 mpg. I'm sure I burned 10 gallons of gas just going up to 10,100.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

User avatar
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby TallGrass » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Anyone here ever do it on two-wheels? Bicycle? Motorbike (dirt)? Street bike? I've done Nellie Creek (Uncompahgre) and Mineral Creek (Alpine Loop) so wondering how far up I could get via weaknesses. I don't have the same frame clearance issues that 4-wheelers have. Just need 4" of wheel track, no steps that could hit the sump, and no chokes that could catch a jug.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am
Location: 16.85mi S. of Colorado

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby altidude » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:17 pm

TallGrass wrote:Anyone here ever do it on two-wheels? Bicycle? Motorbike (dirt)? Street bike? I've done Nellie Creek (Uncompahgre) and Mineral Creek (Alpine Loop) so wondering how far up I could get via weaknesses. I don't have the same frame clearance issues that 4-wheelers have. Just need 4" of wheel track, no steps that could hit the sump, and no chokes that could catch a jug.


Of course. Last weekend a guy on a dirtbike passed us heading up to Como. I'm convinced this is the easiest way up there, other than a Prius.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

User avatar
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: Cascade, CO

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby shearmodulus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 am

....and NOW you know why I've been building this monster for four years.... For the Lake Como approach.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.73 KiB) Viewed 404 times
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Canyon Lake, TX elev. 1100

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby elhombre » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:26 am

Now THAT is some good mountain porn .......
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

User avatar
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby csmcgranahan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Made it relatively easy to 8,800' after picking up Sad2 at the 2WD lot. We started up the road a little after 2:30am and I was glad we didn't drive much farther - I'm also glad we hiked up in the dark - we made it to around Blue Lake by sunrise. We took a leisurely pace and managed to summit both Blanca and Ellingwood and made it back to the parking lot a little after 5:30pm for a round trip of just over 15 hours. Intermittent hail and rain made the hike down the road less miserable. Thanks Sad2 for the company - that would have been a long day solo.

Posts: 253
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Parker, CO

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby sad2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm

csmcgranahan wrote:Made it relatively easy to 8,800' after picking up Sad2 at the 2WD lot. We started up the road a little after 2:30am and I was glad we didn't drive much farther - I'm also glad we hiked up in the dark - we made it to around Blue Lake by sunrise. We took a leisurely pace and managed to summit both Blanca and Ellingwood and made it back to the parking lot a little after 5:30pm for a round trip of just over 15 hours. Intermittent hail and rain made the hike down the road less miserable. Thanks Sad2 for the company - that would have been a long day solo.



Chris - - I appreciated the ride and company. I'm thankful the weather held out during the hike until the last stretch. The drive home on La Veta Pass was interesting. Crazy rain and a mudslide on the road. Did you get all that rain Sunday evening from 6:00-7:00 in Alamosa? I could barely see. It stopped when I reached 25. Great hike and company.

User avatar
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Como Lake Road TH

Postby csmcgranahan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm

sad2 wrote:
csmcgranahan wrote:Made it relatively easy to 8,800' after picking up Sad2 at the 2WD lot. We started up the road a little after 2:30am and I was glad we didn't drive much farther - I'm also glad we hiked up in the dark - we made it to around Blue Lake by sunrise. We took a leisurely pace and managed to summit both Blanca and Ellingwood and made it back to the parking lot a little after 5:30pm for a round trip of just over 15 hours. Intermittent hail and rain made the hike down the road less miserable. Thanks Sad2 for the company - that would have been a long day solo.



Chris - - I appreciated the ride and company. I'm thankful the weather held out during the hike until the last stretch. The drive home on La Veta Pass was interesting. Crazy rain and a mudslide on the road. Did you get all that rain Sunday evening from 6:00-7:00 in Alamosa? I could barely see. It stopped when I reached 25. Great hike and company.


We had some light rain showers in Alamosa - nothing serious. I crashed at 10:00pm and slept until my kids woke me up at 7:00am. I can't remember the last time I slept for nine hours.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests