Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kite Lake this weekend

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Kite Lake this weekend

Postby planetmike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey, I am gonna be driving from Omaha Friday to kite lake plan to get their around midnight and camp. Think it will be loaded with other people at that time? Will it be possible to set up camp or will it be hopeless?

Re: Kite Lake this weekend

Postby anasarca76 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Ive never tried to camp there... but, the time I hiked the route, it was quite crowded when I drove up in the am... and labor day will certainly be crowded. If it were me, I would either car camp where ever you can park, or look into some other places fairly close that would be more open to camping spots late at night. Anyone else have any suggestions for late night camping near Kite Lake????

Postby Craig Cook » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 pm

Last summer when I did the DeCaLiBron, tents were sprung up all around Kite Like - and that was on a Wednesday in the middle of July. On Labor Day weekend, I'm guessing the place will be a zoo.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby peter303 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 am

It will be paked on a summer holiday weekend. The lot may be full, tthere is plenty of road parking.

Postby planetmike » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am

I can deal with people, but will I be able to find a spot for my tent? I figure it won't matter where I go this weekend it will be loaded with people.

Postby Stiffler_from_Denver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:40 am

I did the backside of Bross a few weekends ago from the Dolly Varden Gulch. There was only two cars parked there and about 30 cars up at Kite Lake. If you're coming in late at night, consider camping around the Dolly Varden trailhead then driving all the way up the road to Kite Lake in the am. There looked like a lot of nice flat spots below treeline at this trailhead.

Here is the directions:

Turn in the Middle of Alma up Kite Lake and drive a bit through a residential area. Drive just under 3 miles up towards Kite Lake and take a hard right onto Forest Road 415. Drive 2.75 miles to a parking lot near the Mineral Park mine in Dolly Varden Gulch. This is a large, open gravel area with plenty of parking.