Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Free camping around Telluride?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Free camping around Telluride?

Postby England » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:45 pm

I did the search I found all the pay for camping, but thought I would see if there is anything free. I will be in a low clearance vehicle as well. Tall order???

Re: Free camping around Telluride?

Postby WarDamnPanic » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Alta lakes is the most scenic in the area. Easy 2WD road to multiple sites

Postby tbonesaredelicious » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm

There are lots of very nice free spots in the few miles before the rock of ages trailhead. The road is a bit rough, but I never scraped in my Mazda 3.

Postby England » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:25 pm

No 14er this trip. Any suggestions for mountain biking trails easy to moderate.... Taking the wife for our wedding anniversary. edit: and thanks for the info!!!
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby WarDamnPanic » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Deep Creek, Waterline Trail, Boomerang, and Galloping Goose are my favorite mountain bike trails in the area. Have fun

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm

south fork of the san Miguel. awesome, and free and within 3 miles of downtown t ride.

Postby England » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Thank you!!!! Have not been on the forum for many years, but I've always had the best responses\info. Climb on!!!

Postby globreal » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

England wrote:I did the search I found all the pay for camping, but thought I would see if there is anything free. I will be in a low clearance vehicle as well. Tall order???

There is a nice camp site (free) in the national forest that is south of Telluride on Hwy 145 just 2 miles south of Lizard Head Pass. On the north side of the road is the pull off parking lot for the trail to the Lizard Head-Cross Mnt saddle, i.e.: south route to Gladstone. But just right across the road on the south side is a short road to another TH. (Sorry, don't remember the name.) But we camped in a nice night camp site that veers off left just before that TH. (We were pointed to this location by a forest ranger.) It has great views of Gladstone, Lizard Head Peak, Vermillion, etc.

Easy for a 2WD car to reach and FREE!

PM me if you are interested. I'll make you a map.
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."