Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Free camping around Telluride?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc. Trailhead Info/Status Reports

Free camping around Telluride?

Postby England » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:45 pm

I did the search I found all the pay for camping, but thought I would see if there is anything free. I will be in a low clearance vehicle as well. Tall order???

Re: Free camping around Telluride?

Postby WarDamnPanic » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Alta lakes is the most scenic in the area. Easy 2WD road to multiple sites

Postby tbonesaredelicious » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm

There are lots of very nice free spots in the few miles before the rock of ages trailhead. The road is a bit rough, but I never scraped in my Mazda 3.

Postby England » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:25 pm

No 14er this trip. Any suggestions for mountain biking trails easy to moderate.... Taking the wife for our wedding anniversary. edit: and thanks for the info!!!
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby WarDamnPanic » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Deep Creek, Waterline Trail, Boomerang, and Galloping Goose are my favorite mountain bike trails in the area. Have fun

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm

south fork of the san Miguel. awesome, and free and within 3 miles of downtown t ride.

Postby England » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Thank you!!!! Have not been on the forum for many years, but I've always had the best responses\info. Climb on!!!

Postby globreal » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

England wrote:I did the search I found all the pay for camping, but thought I would see if there is anything free. I will be in a low clearance vehicle as well. Tall order???

There is a nice camp site (free) in the national forest that is south of Telluride on Hwy 145 just 2 miles south of Lizard Head Pass. On the north side of the road is the pull off parking lot for the trail to the Lizard Head-Cross Mnt saddle, i.e.: south route to Gladstone. But just right across the road on the south side is a short road to another TH. (Sorry, don't remember the name.) But we camped in a nice night camp site that veers off left just before that TH. (We were pointed to this location by a forest ranger.) It has great views of Gladstone, Lizard Head Peak, Vermillion, etc.

Easy for a 2WD car to reach and FREE!

PM me if you are interested. I'll make you a map.
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10)