Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping/car sleeping near St.Luis W Willow TH?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping/car sleeping near St.Luis W Willow TH?

Postby boleslav » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 am

We are planning to hike around Lake City and then move to Creede to visit Bachelor loop and hike St Luis from West Willow TH.

I have info, thanks to this web site, on the camping at Grizzly creek, Matterhorn creek trail heads, and the last piece of the trip I am missing is where to camp near Creede/St Luis for the last part of the trip.

We can sleep in the Forester, if there are no spots for the tent.

Do you have any suggestions?
thank you

Re: Camping/car sleeping near St.Luis W Willow TH?

Postby DurangoJenn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:52 am

I just did San Luis from West Willow Creek last Sunday and there were two guys camped in their tent right by the parking area near the TH. There is also a fire ring, so it's a great spot, maybe 10 feet or so away from where you'll park. Beautiful route. Enjoy your time in the San Juans!

Postby Bullwinkle » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:59 pm

See my TR edits on this route since your last PM. Added some pics, as overview of the route, and comments on a desirable campsite just a short distance from the TH.

The last 1.6 miles is a bit rough, but should be do-able in your Forester, with some care and driver skill.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby boleslav » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:06 pm

thank you both of you for the replies.