Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near Princeton?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping near Princeton?

Postby nedryarson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 am

Hello, I'm interested in dispersed camping in the Princeton area, but would prefer to be down in one of the valleys near a water source. Has anyone camped in the Chalk Creek area? I believe it's illegal to camp below the St Elmo site, but what kind of options are above it? I also know there is plenty of camping near Cottonwood Lake, but that seems a lot farther from the trailhead.

Re: Camping near Princeton?

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 am

There are some camping spots above St. Elmo on the way up to Tincup Pass. I've never camped there but have driven by and they seem pretty good. If you're looking to climb Princeton, I'd estimate those sites being a 15-20 minute drive from the lower TH.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby drewski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Closer spots for camping are along the road in to the Browns Creek Trailhead a couple miles to the south. There are no creeks there, except for just past the trailhead.

Postby GreenHorn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm

If you take the turnoff to Hancock you could find some spots near water up that way as well - toward Grizzly? Lake maybe. It's been a while since I've been up there. If water is a must and you want legal dispersed camping, I would go with Cottonwood Creek before going up that high. There are plenty of spots right between 306 and the creek. The drive wouldn't be that much different.
Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.

--JEAN-LUC PICARD

Postby RyGuy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 pm

GreenHorn wrote:If you take the turnoff to Hancock you could find some spots near water up that way as well - toward Grizzly? Lake maybe. It's been a while since I've been up there. If water is a must and you want legal dispersed camping, I would go with Cottonwood Creek before going up that high. There are plenty of spots right between 306 and the creek. The drive wouldn't be that much different.

There are a few scattered sites above St. Elmo towards Tincup pass, but not many. Don't bother going towards Grizzly Lake unless you have a Jeep with at least 35" tires, lockers, and a 6" lift or more. Same can be said for the Iron Chest mine area above St. Elmo.

I'd honestly consider camping up by the radio towers. There are a few sites up there in the trees.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 am

ACERyGuy007 wrote:
GreenHorn wrote:If you take the turnoff to Hancock you could find some spots near water up that way as well - toward Grizzly? Lake maybe. It's been a while since I've been up there. If water is a must and you want legal dispersed camping, I would go with Cottonwood Creek before going up that high. There are plenty of spots right between 306 and the creek. The drive wouldn't be that much different.

There are a few scattered sites above St. Elmo towards Tincup pass, but not many. Don't bother going towards Grizzly Lake unless you have a Jeep with at least 35" tires, lockers, and a 6" lift or more. Same can be said for the Iron Chest mine area above St. Elmo.

I'd honestly consider camping up by the radio towers. There are a few sites up there in the trees.-Ryan

I agree with this if being near water isn't a sticking point.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby nedryarson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for all the responses! It sounds like the best option would be either radio towers or Cottonwood Creek.