Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures Schedule

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures Schedule

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:59 am

madbuck wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:According to the reports, the Loveland-Ft Collins stage disappointed in the turn out, but the mountain towns made the same killing they've made the last two years. And if you saw Denver today, it was rockin'.

Which reports? I haven't seen numbers, but am interested to see them, having only heard glowing reviews of the Ft. Collins side of things at least. Town was certainly rocking, bigger than other summer festivals in town, and that's nothing to say of the crowds lining the roads on the dams above town.

http://www.denverpost.com/cycling/ci_23935468/aspens-tejay-van-garderen-increases-his-edge-but?source=rss
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Jeff Valliere » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:39 am

Regarding the rumors about the race moving on, it would surprise me if this were true, but then again, event organization, sponsors, UCI scheduling conflicts, team management etc, may all play into it. They may have collective reasoning to move on or cancel all together, it happens all the time in American bike racing. Hard to predict for sure though.

However, the 2011 edition was having difficulty getting off the ground, with Quiznos pulling sponsorship and quite a few pieces of the puzzle not falling into place until a month prior, I was hearing rumors that it would never happen, so you never know.

Seems like the crowds this year were in line with previous years, but that perception can be skewed depending on where you choose to spectate from. I am sure race organization has a better idea of the true numbers though.

Vail certainly had no complaints: http://www.vaildaily.com/news/7831560-113/vail-colorado-challenge-colarusso

"The return on investment pours $228 into the private sector for every $1 spent on the ad campaign, White said."

Sounds like a win/win to me.

As far as coverage was concerned, I thought it was excellent. A few hours of live coverage each day on the Tour Tracker, Phil and Paul, instant updates, NBC coverage on TV, what more could you ask for? My only real complaint was that on the Aspen/Snowmass stage, they went to commercial as the riders were winding up for the sprint and we missed it entirely. Technical difficulties I think. Following the Tour de France and European bike racing in the 80's and 90's, we were fortunate if the local paper had a small paragraph with the top 10 placings listed and then we would get a weekly half hour, or hour of condensed coverage on Wide World of Sports with announcers who knew NOTHING about bike racing, like Sam Posey. Then a month or two later, you could read a bit more about it in Winning magazine. Coverage certainly has come a long way.

Re: Loveland. Nothing against Loveland, but I was surprised they started a stage there, it just does not seem like the most bike crazy town. There seemed to be a pretty decent turnout at the start, but was a core group of cycling fans from Boulder/Denver/Ft. Collins and was very concentrated. Outside the immediate scrum of the start area, it was crickets chirping. Perhaps they just picked that for a start because it was a suitable spot for the team buses and all the staging that goes along with such an event.

Postby peter303 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 am

I read in the Asepn Times their city council paid $215K to host their leg of race.
Those fees could be a factor whether a city hosts the race.
Last edited by peter303 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby I fall a lot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 am

Unfortunately, cycling has to be one of the worst spectator sports ever.

Postby ThuChad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 am

I fall a lot wrote:Unfortunately, cycling has to be one of the worst spectator sports ever.

Pretty true for road races and time trials. On the other hand circuit races/crits like in Aspen are fairly exciting.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby hberry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 am

Tory Wells wrote:
hberry wrote:Rumor has it two more years for this race in Colorado then it moves on. The coverage this year was a joke.

Can you substantiate this rumor? And where would they move it to? Wyoming? New Mexico? Nebraska? No sir, Colorado and California are the only states that have the cycling culture and the draw for the big sponsors to get involved in a race like this in the States. The boost to the economy for the start/finish towns has been substantial.

Not buying that rumor. If you saw the race coverage (I watched it everyday, where were you?), you would have seen the interest by the fans was HUGE.

Tory-

I watched every stage on the Tour Tracker except the time trial - the coverage was pretty terrible this year as compared to years past - not starting until 2:00 PM during the week - they talk about Indy Pass as being the Queen stage and the highest elevation for a race - and yet we don't get to see it on the App or TV.

Boulder didn't vie for a stage in this years race because they were so disappointed with the amount of people that came and the amount of revenue generated last year. There was a report in the post that Aspen was looking into whether it was worth it for them to apply for a stage next year.

Obviously rumors are just that - but it didn't seem like NBC was to invested in coverage of the event this year - no replays and no full race coverage.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 am

I fall a lot wrote:Unfortunately, cycling has to be one of the worst spectator sports ever.

It depends how one's level of enthusiasm for the sport. Road races can be a bit tough for a spectator I agree, wait all day, then, whoosh, they are gone in a few seconds. With a bit of strategy, a map, commitment and a car/bike/running shoe combo, one can get around to a few different spots on a road race course though, preferably on a steep climb if possible, where they will be going slower and you can get a good look, photos, video, etc... Chasing the race is pretty fun and is quite the spectacle of it's own in Europe for races like Roubaix, LBL and other classics and stage races. They are REALLY into it, so it is worthwhile to them. The majority of Americans, not so much, it is all about baseball, football, basketball. It has to be easy.

Time Trials are actually pretty good too, as you get to see the riders pass in 1 or 2 minute intervals over a ~2 hour stretch of time. The Vail Pass time trial is particularly good for this.

Of course though, crits/circuits are the most spectator friendly, but pretty lame for the majority of the racers.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 am

this is true, just because CO is a huge biking state doesn't mean people want to watch it. Lets face it, road biking is inherently boring. I'd much rather watch a downhill MTB race than wait all day for some skinny spandex clad riders to whoosh by in a few seconds.

I would have to agree, the coverage was horrible this year. I didn't even hear much buzz around the event either this year.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 am

hberry wrote:Tory-

I watched every stage on the Tour Tracker except the time trial - the coverage was pretty terrible this year as compared to years past - not starting until 2:00 PM during the week - they talk about Indy Pass as being the Queen stage and the highest elevation for a race - and yet we don't get to see it on the App or TV.

Boulder didn't vie for a stage in this years race because they were so disappointed with the amount of people that came and the amount of revenue generated last year. There was a report in the post that Aspen was looking into whether it was worth it for them to apply for a stage next year.

Obviously rumors are just that - but it didn't seem like NBC was to invested in coverage of the event this year - no replays and no full race coverage.

You're definitely right about the coverage. I too was disappointed at not getting to see Indy Pass. And that would certainly be a bad sign if cities aren't vying for a stage. Very bad indeed.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 am

Durango's TV coverage was weak last year and we were the opening stage. I went out to support the race and it was a ghost town. It did rain a little bit but man, I thought this thing would have been a big deal. It makes sense that we didn't get it again, bummer.

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 am

It went along Lake Dillon last week. I think there were more state troopers on the route than there were cyclists. Which is to say in the rest of Colorado...
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 am

Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

PreviousNext