Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures Schedule

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures Schedule

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Best part of the day right here
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby aleugers » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:38 pm

I've never parked by Elitches or the Pepsi Center for the race for the past two years but there is definitely plenty of parking in that area and really easy access to I-25 and then 6th Ave or I-70. I've watched the race the past two years at Speer and its a great spot. Go to one of the bridges that crosses Cherry Creek along Speer and you can then watch them going in one direction then go across the bridge to catch them going the other direction. They go by pretty quick, I'm guessing 30mph, in that stretch and you can literally feel the rush as they go by. Then after the race head to Civic Center Park for the post race festivities.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:32 am

If you have not seen any stages of this race, I would highly recommend it, great fun! I was up on Vail Pass Friday to watch the time trial and then watched the start in Loveland yesterday (posted some video/photos on my blog if interested www.jeffvalliere.blogspot.com). It was awesome.

Unfortunately, I am working today, otherwise I would head in for the Denver stage too. FWIW, if you are planning to head down, I hear they are going to have a bike valet, to encourage people to bike in and ease the traffic, parking concerns. Or just bring a beater bike and a good lock.

Postby hberry » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Rumor has it two more years for this race in Colorado then it moves on. The coverage this year was a joke.

Postby Tory Wells » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:40 pm

hberry wrote:Rumor has it two more years for this race in Colorado then it moves on. The coverage this year was a joke.

Can you substantiate this rumor? And where would they move it to? Wyoming? New Mexico? Nebraska? No sir, Colorado and California are the only states that have the cycling culture and the draw for the big sponsors to get involved in a race like this in the States. The boost to the economy for the start/finish towns has been substantial.

Not buying that rumor. If you saw the race coverage (I watched it everyday, where were you?), you would have seen the interest by the fans was HUGE.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby DArcyS » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 pm

I don't closely follow the invent, but I figured many would lose interest after the novelty wore off and it would make sense for it be in Colorado once every two or three years. Sometimes less is more, unless you're a hardcore cycling fan, and how many of those are there? How were the crowds this year compared to the first year of the event?

Postby Tory Wells » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:08 pm

inthemtns wrote:I don't closely follow the invent, but I figured many would lose interest after the novelty wore off and it would make sense for it be in Colorado once every two or three years. Sometimes less is more, unless you're a hardcore cycling fan, and how many of those are there? How were the crowds this year compared to the first year of the event?

According to the reports, the Loveland-Ft Collins stage disappointed in the turn out, but the mountain towns made the same killing they've made the last two years. And if you saw Denver today, it was rockin'.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Tory Wells wrote:According to the reports, the Loveland-Ft Collins stage disappointed in the turn out

Probably because "Love"land is the most pathetic, god awful collection of ingrates in the entire state. The amount of negativity this town exudes is nauseating at best, especially when the old codger shut ins find out their road is going to be closed for 45 minutes and they have to get to their stupid corn roast/cherry pie/yell at cloud festival early.

Too bad stage 6 couldnt start in Grand Lake and end in Fort Collins, thus passing through towns that deserved to see the race and avoiding those who definitely don't deserve the honor.

Though near the canyon I was happy to see a small gathering of people who came out to watch.
Before entering the canyon
heading to Fort Collins
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby Tory Wells » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:According to the reports, the Loveland-Ft Collins stage disappointed in the turn out

Probably because "Love"land is the most pathetic, god awful collection of ingrates in the entire state. The amount of negativity this town exudes is nauseating at best, especially when the old codger shut ins find out their road is going to be closed for 45 minutes and they have to get to their stupid corn roast/cherry pie/yell at cloud festival early.

Too bad stage 6 couldnt start in Grand Lake and end in Fort Collins, thus passing through towns that deserved to see the race and avoiding those who definitely don't deserve the honor.

No argument here. Loveland tried hard every year to get the race and now that they finally got it, dropped the ball big time. They are the Ronnie Hillman of the stage-racing-finishing-city world. Suffice it to say the Challenge won't be returning to Loveland any time soon.

-Steve Gladbach

Postby madbuck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Tory Wells wrote:According to the reports, the Loveland-Ft Collins stage disappointed in the turn out, but the mountain towns made the same killing they've made the last two years. And if you saw Denver today, it was rockin'.

Which reports? I haven't seen numbers, but am interested to see them, having only heard glowing reviews of the Ft. Collins side of things at least. Town was certainly rocking, bigger than other summer festivals in town, and that's nothing to say of the crowds lining the roads on the dams above town.

Postby madbuck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:Probably because "Love"land is the most pathetic, god awful collection of ingrates in the entire state. The amount of negativity this town exudes is nauseating at best, especially when the old codger shut ins find out their road is going to be closed for 45 minutes and they have to get to their stupid corn roast/cherry pie/yell at cloud festival early.

Tell us how you really feel! :-D

So my wife and I volunteered at a 1st closure. Keep in mind, the rolling closures last 20-25 minutes, and if you are intelligent enough to drive in the opposite direction on surface streets as needed (Train A vs. Train B) in the rare cases of needing to cross the road, this worst-case extra time will be cut in half to about 10-15 minutes (you know, the same amount of time afforded for bad traffic, gaping at accidents, parades, etc.)
Anyway, motorists were upset about having to turn around. I actually went down the road a few blocks to give them a more convenient warning. Some were understanding, but most vented their frustration at me, a volunteer stranger with a Blue Shirt. Many punctuated their points by spinning tires and making aggressive u-turns (the cops were just waiting for an accident).

And, I missed the peloton coming through! No good deed goes unpunished!

Corn roast? Nah, those people were chill. I kid you not, the specific complaints/questions I heard -- each multiple times:
"How do I get to Wal-mart, then?"
"How can I get to Sam's Club?" (Both of these are only ~1.5 miles away)
"How the h#%^ do I get to Centerra? This is bull...."
Yelling at the clouds, indeed.

Ironically, I was able to tell them about the surface street options (even though I don't live there, and don't have a GPS or any "apps") only because I bike on alternative routes all the time. Oh, and the general concept that there is considerable redundancy in the traffic infrastructure grid.

Any remaining sympathy I had for motorists being temporarily inconvenienced by cycling went right out the window. For every person heading to work for an important job, or driving in a true emergency, there are 20 marginally-competent drivers shopping for useless crap.

Postby tlongpine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:21 am

inthemtns wrote:I don't closely follow the invent, but I figured many would lose interest after the novelty wore off and it would make sense for it be in Colorado once every two or three years. Sometimes less is more, unless you're a hardcore cycling fan, and how many of those are there? How were the crowds this year compared to the first year of the event?

This years #'s aren't in yet but in 2012 the race hosted one million fans and created $99 million in direct economic impact (up from $83M the first year)

http://www.denverpost.com/cycling/ci_21803490
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

PreviousNext