Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures Schedule

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:44 pm

And wouldn’t it be nice, he said, to finish atop Independence Pass.

“Obviously we would love the Forest Service to come back and reconsider overnight camping” on the pass, which the agency prohibited after an estimated 10,000 spectators jammed the alpine roadway for an overnight party before the race in 2011. “There were some Alp d’Huez crowds up there in 2011."

Yikes! :wft:
Were people camped in the woods willy nilly or at campgrounds? I wonder about 10,000. I'm assuming the majority of people camped in designated spots, except for some "bad apples."

On another note, these towns have plenty good reason to want the race. The initial reports for Vail are good.

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/7870306-113/percent-summer-mountain-release
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Re:

Postby hberry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Mel McKinney wrote:
And wouldn’t it be nice, he said, to finish atop Independence Pass.

“Obviously we would love the Forest Service to come back and reconsider overnight camping” on the pass, which the agency prohibited after an estimated 10,000 spectators jammed the alpine roadway for an overnight party before the race in 2011. “There were some Alp d’Huez crowds up there in 2011."

Yikes! :wft:
Were people camped in the woods willy nilly or at campgrounds? I wonder about 10,000. I'm assuming the majority of people camped in designated spots, except for some "bad apples."

On another note, these towns have plenty good reason to want the race. The initial reports for Vail are good.

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/7870306-113/percent-summer-mountain-release

I believe the first year the Forest Service allowed camping on the side of the road next to cars - but don't quote me on that.

Previous