Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Handies Peak Labor Day Weekend questions

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Handies Peak Labor Day Weekend questions

Postby Castlerock23 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:45 pm

I am planning on hiking Handies Peak on 8/31. Just wondering if anyone else will be on the mountain! I'll be quite far from home and camping alone, so I just wonder if I should expect to see anyone else this late in the summer. If you've hiked it around that time of year before, please let me know what kind of traffic you saw. Also, if you happen to be planning the same hike, that would be nice to know as well. I may camp one night and do hostel the other night (2 nights is the current plan, maybe 3?)....any thoughts on this?
Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Re: Handies Peak Labor Day Weekend questions

Postby sheller » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:05 pm

You won't be alone if you are hiking from American Basin. We hiked it mid August last year and passed by ~40 people on our way down. Unless the weather is miserable, expect a fair number of people, but nothing like the Front Range, probably closer to what you'd find on a less popular Sawatch. Handies does draw quite a few people since it is one of the easier ones.

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:30 pm

I hiked it from American Basin late August weekday last year and saw only about five people I think. This was probably after school started. I slept in the car and had some varment problems, middle of the night chewing, must have been a marmot, sounded like a grizzly bear in the dead silence of the place.

Postby Castlerock23 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks again to all. I had to change my plans due to a family situation, so am not at Handies this weekend. I will be in the Belford area this afternoon, tomorrow and possibly Monday. Good hiking to all this weekend!