Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Buena Vista Lodging

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Buena Vista Lodging

Postby DanRiley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 pm

During August I plan to return to Buena Vista for the first time in 25 years . I plan on being there for about a week or more and am looking for suggestions on simple, convenient lodging to
use as a base while I hike and climb in the Sawatch. It's difficult to tell much from most of their sites so I'm hoping there may be some personal favorites someone could recommend.
Also, are there good campgrounds available for car camping (in a 2WD SUV) ?
Thanks,
Dan

Re: Buena Vista Lodging

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:41 pm

There is a VERY nice campground just 1 or 2 miles due east of the Mt. Yale trailhead. I remember it being past Rainbow Lake for sure. We camped at an AMAZING spot down by the river, very large campsites as well. I'm having a hard time remembering the exact name of the campground, but I can look it up on my map when I get home if nobody else names it before I get off work.

Postby ryanmicj » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:28 pm

I can't speak to the quality of camp sites near Buena Vista, but what I will tell you is that I was recently looking for sites near there for August, and it looked like everything was booked. We were able to find a spot at Twin Lakes near Leadville, and there looked to be some spots still available at the Horseshoe Campground near Fairplay.

Private campgrounds may have availability, but I never looked into them.

Postby Mtnman200 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Collegiate Peaks Campground is conveniently located close to the trailhead for Mt. Yale on the Cottonwood Pass road. Be sure to stop at Pizza Works in Buena Vista for a victory pizza after your climb. :)
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner

Postby jrs1965 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:29 pm

When I pull my camper (usually not in conjunction with doing a 14er) the family and I stay at Snowy Peak RV Park. We are fans of camping close to town, (brewery) and Snowy Peaks is about one mile north of BV...

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Mtnman200 wrote:Collegiate Peaks Campground is conveniently located close to the trailhead for Mt. Yale on the Cottonwood Pass road. Be sure to stop at Pizza Works in Buena Vista for a victory pizza after your climb. :)

I believe this is the campground I referred to earlier.

Postby Alpinegoat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Leadville Hostel is an awesome place. I used it as a base for the Sawatch range last month. You can reach any of the trailheads in the area in 30 - 45 mins. Also it is a good place for acclimatization since it is at 10152 feet.

If you are looking for campgrounds, Twin Lakes / Winfield area has a lot of good creekside camping.

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Mtnman200 wrote:Collegiate Peaks Campground is conveniently located close to the trailhead for Mt. Yale on the Cottonwood Pass road. Be sure to stop at Pizza Works in Buena Vista for a victory pizza after your climb. :)

i would easily destroy any one of you for a Pizza Works pizza right now.....Mmmmmm....... :twisted:

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 pm

My notes from a pass through BV a couple weeks ago:

The Great Western Inn, on 24, south side of town
Topaz Lodge, on 24, near center of town
Mountain View Motel, on 24, east side of street
Super 8, on 24, north of town, west side of street
Pinon Court
Lakeside Motel, on west Main, near a nice lake
Vista Court Cabins and Lodge, on west Main, just west of Lakeside Motel

Postby peter303 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 am

Note the first two weeks of August are the busiest mountain weekends of the year, just before school starts.
Mid-August you share lodging with Leadville 100-mile running and bike races. Their turnaround point is a little north of BV.

Postby lpyle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:31 am

I like the Ruby Mountain campground in the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area. It's about 5 miles south of BV, right on the river.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary

Postby 14erFred » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 am

My strong recommendation for lodging in Buena Vista is the Topaz Lodge, located on the east side of US 24 just a hundred yards or so north of the traffic light in the center of BV. It's a conveniently located "base camp" to which to return when climbing the 14ers in the southern and central Sawatch and Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. The Topaz Lodge is walking distance from great food (Evergreen Cafe, Jan's, Eddyline West, Casa del Sol, K's), from the City Market and pharmacy, and from the Trailhead outdoor store. The cost for rooms is very reasonable, particularly compared to the over-priced alternatives. The owners (Brett and Michelle Mitchell) are great and will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. I've been staying at the Topaz every summer for many years. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in the Arkansas Valley.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Next